Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Delegate
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
The American Red Cross is seeking the position of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Delegate to work with our partner, the Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS). The MEL Delegate is responsible for strengthening monitoring and evaluation systems of the existing programs that are relevant and appropriate to the Nepal context. The M&E Delegate will also provide technical assistance in developing M&E system of all the project supported by the host national society. The M&E Delegate will support the national society in building systems that can be implemented by the NRCS local team. The delegate will help build the capacity of PMER staff of Nepal Red Cross Society while ensuring accountability to both donors and beneficiaries for the resources raised through a comprehensive and participatory M&E system. The Delegate will be involved in the project design process and also oversee the reporting system – ensuring the reports to HQ and NRCS are completed on time and in a quality way. One of the key responsibilities of the M&E delegate will help build the capacity of NRCS in planning, monitoring, data readiness, information management and reporting skills. The Delegate will report directly to the Country Manager and work collaboratively with other technical staff.
This is a full-time position. The position will be based in Kathmandu, Nepal and will report to the Country Manager. This is an accompanied post.
- Build capacity of NRCS staff in M&E, management information system, data collection, analysis, visualization, quality assurance and reporting
- Provide technical support on information management at the organizational level of NRCS.
- Identify capacity gap of NRCS and American Red Cross staff in the area of PMER, and provide necessary coaching, mentoring and training support.
- Lead development of monitoring and evaluation and data systems management capacity, procedures, tools, associated methodologies and key documents to ensure standardization in evaluation and reporting practices.
- Develop and facilitate PMER-IM capacity building on data readiness at different levels.
- Design and execute appropriate and effective assessment, various population-based surveys (including program baseline) for the delegation.
- Operationalize the community engagement and accountability framework.
- Plan and manage external evaluation and reviews with support from Senior Program Advisor.
- Provide technical input on the proposal writings and reporting.
- Advocate for the use of data analysis and information products in documentation, decision-making, planning and coordination.
- Support the NRCS GIS team in generating maps, inforgraphics and other visual representations, as necessary.
- Build and maintain relationships with other information focal points both internally and externally to gain access to relevant sources of data and information services and facilitate information exchange.
- In coordination with Regional MEL team, ensure effective implementation and management of monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Document and promote good practices, knowledge management and institutional learning around monitoring and evaluation approaches and incorporate lessons learned, best practices and technical innovation in plans and project designs.
- Closely monitor and communicate technical program performance and advise senior leadership on technical issues that could adversely impact programming.
- Represent the American Red Cross and develop and maintain relationships with Red Cross and Red Crescent Network partners in relation to monitoring and evaluation.
- Coordinate and ensure timely data collection, analysis and submission of project reports.
- Contribute to the production of materials such as presentations, annual reports, training materials, positions papers, and proposals relevant to the incumbent’s area of expertise.
- Comply with external donor reporting requirements as necessary.
- Master’s degree in operations research, statistics, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with local partner capacity building/mentoring.
- Experience using/managing GIS tools, software.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in program design and assessment – five years in an international setting; at least three years working directly in a M&E role required; along with a thorough familiarity with the principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and work effectively in dynamic and demanding operational environments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and in a collegial fashion with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and achieve results through collaboration.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in MS Office, and experience with SPSS, STATA, or other statistical analysis software required.
- Familiarity with the Red Cross and Red Crescent Network highly desirable.
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Fluently spoken and written Nepalese, preferred.