Rehabilitation Technical Coordinator - LIBYA
Place: LIBYA (Tripoli)
Length: 6 months minimum
Starting date: asap
** “Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations,
we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences,
where everyone can live in dignity”**
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
HI has office in 63 countries ; for further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
As a result of the conflict and instability, the collapse of the health services has considerably reduced assistance towards the most vulnerable, in particular persons with disabilities. HI is currently implementing a humanitarian programme from operational bases in Tripoli, Misrata and Benghazi with the following activities:
· Provision of comprehensive rehabilitation services including physical therapy and psychosocial support for persons with disabilities/injuries, distribution of assistive devices as required;
· Capacity building, technical support and donations of assistive devices and/or materials and equipment to health partners (hospitals, rehabilitation centres and local NGOs);
· Training on inclusion principles to other humanitarian actors and health workers;
· Provision of Risk Education to conflict affected communities on the risks and effects caused by mines and explosive remnants of war (ERW) and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) to locate and destroy ERW in targeted communities;
· Support to the Libyan Mine Action Centre (LibMAC) and other ministries in developing a victim assistance strategy and action plan for 2019.
In addition, beginning in early 2019 HI is implementing a three year project entitled ‘Action for Mental Health Assistance in Libya’ (AMAL) as part of wider initiatives to improve the access and quality of health care services in Libya. Implemented in partnership with a Tunisian NGO, the specific objectives of the project are as follows:
- Psychosocial distress, mental health and substance abuse in Libya is reduced;
- Expanded access, availability and acceptability to quality psychosocial support and mental health care;
- Training and upskilling of Libyan mental health staff;
- Greater awareness about the risks and manifestations of mental illness and substance abuse amongst at-risk groups in Libya.
The post holder will be based in Tripoli, with regular visits to Benghazi and Misrata, security allowing.
Progressively during the course of 2019 HI’s Libya mission will become part of a new regional programme together with Tunisia and Morocco. As such, the post holder may be requested to provide ad hoc support to the rehabilitation strategy and projects within the regional programme. Likewise, the incumbent will have the opportunities for exchange and resource sharing with other rehabilitation experts within the region.
Under the responsibility of the Program Director [ES1] and in close collaboration with the Operations Coordinator, Mental Health/Psychosocial Support Technical Coordinator, Project Managers and the HQ rehabilitation technical referent, the Rehabilitation Technical Coordinator will be responsible for contributing to the ongoing strategy development in the field of rehabilitation within the programme, identifying opportunities and supporting field teams in the delivery of safe and effective rehabilitation services.
1) Rehabilitation Technical Support
• Provide support and supervision to the Rehabilitation Technical Supervisor in the delivery of technical theoretical and practical training internally for HI’s physiotherapists and externally to partners. Provide training directly to counterparts as required.
• Support the review and adaptation of information, education and communication materials used in the projects.
• Provide technical input and validation of rehabilitation equipment used within the projects.
• Support the Operations Coordinator and Project Managers in identifying learning needs of technical field staff and designing and implementing appropriate training plans to address identified needs, including design of training materials.
• Ensure the safety and technical quality of interventions implemented by the Rehabilitation team through monitoring the team on the field and through case studies.
• Ensure HI technical approaches are respected.
• Develop/adapt tools needed for the project team to provide quality care (technical tools such as protocols, leaflets, training etc.).
• Provide technical support to the management team to monitor the activities (definition of beneficiary pathway, referral pathway, planning and monitoring tools etc.).
2) Support to the program strategy
· Ensure the technical relevance and quality of HI’s intervention related to your field of expertise, conduct quality assurance visits with the field teams and ensure timely reporting of findings and recommendations.
· Support in ongoing assessments of needs, gaps and resources regarding the health sector in the country, in particular in the field of physical and functional rehabilitation. Analyse assessment findings to inform programme strategy and new areas of intervention for the programme.
· Support needs assessments relevant to your technical area of responsibility to inform new projects.
· In close collaboration with the MHPSS Technical Coordinator, ensure the implementation of the integrated approach to rehabilitation of persons with disabilities and injuries.
· Keep abreast of contextual developments in Libya and provide technical recommendations for strategy development or reorientation within your area of expertise.
· Contribute to strategy development in your area of expertise.
3) Representation and external coordination
· Representation of HI towards national and local authorities regarding your technical area of responsibility.
· Represent HI at the Health Working Group and other related forums, and ensure HI’s participation in inter-agency initiatives related to your field of expertise.
· Ensure coordination and coherence of the programme’s health intervention amongst local and international actors, avoiding duplication and promoting complementarities.
4) Line/team Management
YOUR PROFILE :
· You are a certified physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist
· You have at least 4 years of practical experience and 3 years of professional experience in humanitarian context
· You have experience designing and delivering training and implementing capacity building plans
· You have experience in both development and emergency/protracted conflict/chronic crisis settings. Experience working remotely is a strong asset.
· You have strong capacity building skills, team management and representation skills
· English is mandatory (oral and written), Arabic is an asset
· You have a high level of autonomy with strong interpersonal and communication skills
· You are able to work in a tensed and volatile context with strict security measures
· Starting date : asap
· Length of the contract: 6 months**
· Employee status :
Salary from 2757 € gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
Perdiem : 670 euros net/month in Libya
359 euros net/month in Tunisia
Hardship allowance : 500 euros net/month in Libya
Insurances : medical hearth coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
Paid holiday : 25 days per year
R&R : Level 1 in Tunisia : 1 day per month
Level 3 in Libya : 5 days every 6 weeks
Status : position open to unaccompanied
Housing : Collective