Senior Program Management Specialist
The IRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2017 and obtained registration with the NGOAB in March 2018. Since the IRC obtained registration in March 2018, it has moved quickly to expand its integrated emergency health and protection response through both direct and partner-based programming focused on primary healthcare, women’s protection and empowerment, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence and child protection. Through 2018, the IRC’s response strategy will primarily target Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, while meeting the significant needs in both refugee and host populations, as already existing vulnerabilities are compounded with cyclical monsoon and cyclone seasons that impose additional threats to the lives and protection of those refugees as well as vulnerable host populations. IRC is expanding its programming to cover education and livelihoods/DRR, as well as its geographic foot print in the host community and to other parts of the country.
The role will provide specialized project management support to projects, ensuring that projects are supported to improve on planning and implementation. The incumbent will ensure thorough reviews of project are conducted and issues that may hinder implementation and spending are raised in a timely manner. The role will build capacity of staff in project management.
Under the leadership of the Deputy Director – Programs (DDP), provide specialized project management expertise to all projects ensuring tangible improvements in project management.
Build capacity of and mentor project teams; with specific focus on Technical Coordinators and Senior Managers on project management ensuring that managers have requisite skills to prepare tools and monitor projects.
Provide specialized project management expertise to all projects ensuring staff have acquired skills in key areas of project management like planning tools, analysis of spending and budget, implementation and budget tracking which lead to tangible improvements in project management
Provide technical project management support to staff especially Senior Managers and other project staff
Ensure that effective project monitoring and performance management systems/tools are developed and in use for achieving prior agreed programme activity targets, budget allocations and financial expenditures.
Continually conduct review of project tools - detailed implementation plan, procurement plans, and spending plans - taking into account agreed milestones, log frame and budget and provide status reports and recommendations for improvements.
Collaboratively identify bottlenecks to implementation and spending and measures for improvement
Participate in grants opening, grant reviews, grants closing meetings and implementation review meetings and offer technical advice on improvements.
Identify potential variances of expenses versus budget, and recommend appropriate adjustments at GRM meeting for key projects with highest variances o
Support in starting up and expanding host community programming – prepare host community plan, support host community assessment
Perfom any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time by supervisor.
Major Challenges/Difficulties of this role:
• Balancing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and high demanding work environment.
• Smooth coordination and communication with multi-cultural multi sector team of national and International staff based in multiple locations.
• Ensuring program and support service quality during a period of rapid expansion.
• Successfully managing relationships and maintaining access in a politically complex environment.
• Managing a dynamic safety and security context with diverse threats and challenges, including violent and non-violent civil unrest, road safety and extreme weather
• Timely development of project management tools before project implementation starts
• All ongoing projects with updated project management tools (DIP, budgets, spending and procurement plan)
• Conduct timely analysis on spending and identify communicate challenges to inform decision making
• Timely delivery of IRC’s multi-million USD and multi sector program (funded by diverse range of
• Donors) in response to Rohingya crisis in both refugee camps and host community.
• Semimonthly grants reviews conducted and actions from grants review and BvA reviews implemented
• Staff capacity built on project management
• Program expansion into host community
• A minimum of 8 years’ experience of program management, working in complex humanitarian and development program in NGO sector; out of which minimum 5 years of experience of working in senior management role (e.g. Program/Project Manager, Program Coordinator)
• Experience managing projects with high annual budget
• Certification in project management
• Experience using project management tools and improving project performance
• Experience in budget preparation, analysis and tracking
• Experience of working in / managing response to refugee crises is highly preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Competences:
• Excellent in mentorship, coaching and staff capacity building skills
• Skilled in using excel spreadsheet and conducting budget analysis
• Experienced in budget development
• Experience working with major donors; ECHO, DFID, GAC, UN donors
• Demonstrated experience of managing multi-cultural team (national and international) of both female and male staff.
Specific Educational Qualification:
• Master’s Degree Project management, Social Science or related field or Degree with work experience
• Certificate in computer packages
Professional degree / Certification:
• Certification in Project management
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organisation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Are you ready to join the most dynamic team?