REACH GIS/DATA OFFICER - BANGLADESH
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
We are currently looking for a GIS/Data Officer to support our REACH team in Bangladesh.
Position: GIS/Data Officer
Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Starting Date: ASAP
The REACH GIS/Data Officer will fulfill the following functions:
1. Data Management and Analysis Activities
- Serve as focal point for statistical analysis and quantitative reporting on REACH assessments
- Maintain, update and expand R systems from automated data analysis and map production for factsheets
- Conduct advanced spatial analysis and modeling (e.g. to better understand natural hazard risk, or coverage and catchment area of existing and planned services)
- Monitor accuracy of data collected
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies
- Manage, update and deploy monthly questionnaire.
- Maintain, update and expand R-based systems of data management and analysis for data dissemination and reporting;
2. Technical Support
The REACH GIS/Data Officer will contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions for assessments and projects for REACH Bangladesh. The REACH GIS/Data Officer will provide technical support for assessments and analysis for REACH Bangladesh information products. These responsibilities will include creation and management of data collection tools (ODK or KoBo), training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis (specifically conducted in the R environment).
3. Internal Communication Processes
The REACH GIS/Data Officer will liaise with IMPACT in Geneva to guarantee a quality product that suits the needs of the field office. He/she will respond to information requests from IMPACT Initiatives and keep Geneva informed of the data activities in the field.
4. Confidentiality and Data Protection
The REACH GIS/Data Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
Internally, the GIS/ Data Officer will work closely within the GIS/Data unit and provide analytical support to the REACH Assessment staff and Country Coordination. The Data Officer will liaise with technical backstopping, in specific the HQ Data Unit. These relations will also extend to ACTED country staff including Program Development, AMEU and Area Coordinators.
Externally, the GIS/Data Officer will be expected to liaise with national and international partners, notably IM focal points in NGOs, UN agencies and clusters.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO COMMUNITIES AND BENEFICIARIES
The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities REACH and partners work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about REACH programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every REACH staff member.
- Master Degree in GIS, Mathematics, Statistics, Microbiology/Ecology/Genomics, Hydrology/Hydrogeology, Geophysics, computer science
- Advanced experience analyzing complex data with R and or Python
o Preference to programmers with experience writing packages
- Masters level statistics courses in R
- Advanced understanding of database management
- Advanced experience inQGIS and ArcGIS
- Previous experience with Java-Script
- Previous experience withTableau or Power BI is an asset
- Previous experience with mobile data collection (ODK, ONA, KOBO)
- Prior knowledge of the region is an asset;
- Fluency in English required;
- Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software;
- High level of autonomy and willingness to spend time in field locations
- Ability to work independently to short deadlines and high research standards.
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance provided in country by IMPACT’s partner ACTED
- Food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
Please apply on the following link :