Economic Empowerment Coordinator_Consultancy
Work Location: Beirut
Supervisor: DCD Program
Job Summary: CARE is a leading relief and development non-governmental organization working to end global poverty. Working in over 95 countries around the world, CARE is reaching more than 83 million people through its programs, with more than 11,000 employees worldwide.
CARE has been working in Lebanon since 2013 responding to the Syrian crisis. CARE International in Lebanon has doubled its portfolio in the last year, strengthening its protection and economic empowerment programs. CiL looks to support individuals, communities, and systems in Lebanon to become more resilient through innovative and multisectoral approaches. And within this expansion is working on longer term programming and approaches, and for this seeks a specific type of expertise CARE is committed to the Grand Bargain and in Lebanon have expanded to working with 38 partners.
CiL is in need of support during these exciting times and is looking for CARE is currently seeking a senior expert who will ldevelop innovative solutions and programming under the socio-economic sector to benefit refugees and host communities. The position will lead the strategic outcomes of several economic empowerment and associated projects by ensuring the effective, timely and coordinated management of each project across the portfolio. CiL is working on market systems, value chains, SME support, and skills building approaches that focus on local markets.
This position is based in the Beirut office and will support CARE’s field offices/project sites currently in Mount Lebanon, Beirut, and North Lebanon in the implementation of a variety of protection and gender transformative projects and global and regional CARE initiatives leading research, as well as supporting high level advocacy and networking on gender and protection. This senior position will report to the DCD-Program.
Supervises: Project Managers
Working Conditions: This position will be based in Beirut and Tripoli office
Employment Start Date:Immediately
Duration of Contract: 2 months (with potential to renew)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Other contract elements: This position is open to national and international (non-family station).
Education & Certification: Master’s Degree in associated discipline preferred
Operational experience in urban and rural economic development programming in low and middle-income countries
Excellent skills and experience working in a range of economic empowerment and/or local economic development programs including public-private partnerships; women’s economic empowerment; micro and small business start-ups; microfinance;
Excellent knowledge of the major donors and demonstrated high level of proposal development and reporting
At least 6 years’ experience working within the NGO, UN, local organizations and/or donor community at a senior level in the area of livelihoods and economic opportunities
IT / Software / Technical Skills:
Familiarity with MS Office software, such as Excel
Fluency in English and Arabic preferred.
· Strong analytical skills, and ability to design and direct research, needs assessments, and evaluations
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills including high level proposal writing
- Demonstrated experience in staff training and coaching
- Outstanding organizer
- Strong team player and experienced collaborator
- Effective in negotiation and representation
Detailed Responsibilities & Tasks
Responsibility #1: Program Leadership and Management
· Oversee the overall implementation of CARE Lebanon’s economic empowerment programs supporting support project managers in successful project delivery as per national standards, donor agreement and CARE guidelines and agreed implementation strategy.
· Participate in grant review meetings ensuring partner NGOs are compliant with donor regulations and able to deliver quality and timely activities.
· Ensure partners capacity is being built through association with CIL.
· Conduct regular field monitoring visits to provide support to partners and to ensure quality implementation.
· Monitor expenditure on a monthly basis to ensure spending is on track, and ensure forecasts are updated based on activities and in compliance with donor regulations.
· Oversee programmatic and financial reports for donor, government and the country office as required. This will involve compiling of information from a range of program and financial staff, and working in teams to produce reports.
Responsibility #2: New Business Development
· Lead on the development of new programs and partnerships with the program team, including identifying opportunities in line with CARE’s strategy in Lebanon.
· Keep up-to-date of relevant existing and new research in Lebanon that is related to women’s empowerment/gender issues; refugees and the business environment and disseminate key information as appropriate.
· Support new concept notes and proposals related to socio-economic opportunities and livelihoods, and provide support for shelter, WASH, community based protection, and other as required.
Responsibility #3: Program Strategy and Quality
· Lead on program strategy development for socio-economic sectors
· Coordinate the necessary market assessments, needs assessment, gap analysis and scoping exercises to redefine CARE’s priority interventions and strategic planning in the Lebanese context.
· Develop and implement research together with the MEAL team and field staff which contributes to a deepened understanding of women’s empowerment and gender issues in Lebanon, around youth and women’s economic empowerment, market systems, value chain support, and engaging the private sector
· Ensure that lessons learned from the local economic development interventions are well disseminated and integrated with CIL and other.
· Support project research, evaluations, and baseline studies with technical advice and guidance
· Oversee the implementation and maintenance of M&E tools and frameworks.
Responsibility #4: Support in technical expertise to programs
· Coordinate technical support and training to CARE and partners staff on relevant topics such as youth and women’s economic empowerment, market systems, value chain support, and engaging the private sector
· Co-design technical guidelines that outline processes, procedures, or strategies for program implementation
· Work closely with CARE’s regional and global technical advisors in exchanging sound practices
· Work with program staff and technical advisors to identify the technical support needs of the projects and ensure this support is provided.
Responsibility # 5 External Representation
· Establish positive relations and close collaboration with other agencies involved economic development & livelihood programs in Lebanon
· Ensures information is efficiently communicated between the field and the national coordination.
· Represent CIL in sectoral coordination at regional, national and sub-national levels and with the technical authorities
· In close collaboration with interagency sector coordination units, ensure CARE representation in the relevant technical coordination and forums at the field level and vis-à-vis relevant actors as relevant to the project
Please mention in the subject of your email the title of the position you are applying for .
Your resume will be forwarded to the HR department for review against the requirements for the role in which you have expressed interest. A member of our Human Resources team will contact you soon if your profile is considered for the job vacancy, and if more information is needed. If you are not being approached by our Human Resources team, please consider your application automatically registered in our database
CARE International in Lebanon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any Kind. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
CARE International in Lebanon and its employees abide by the CARE International Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Child Safeguarding Policies
Contact Person Email: