The New Humanitarian (formerly IRIN News) puts independent journalism at the service of the millions of people affected by humanitarian crises around the world. Our on-the-ground reporting informs humanitarian need and response, amplifies the voices of those at the center of crises, and acts as a watchdog to hold the sector accountable to itself, its funders, and the communities it serves.
We were founded by the United Nations in 1995, in the wake of the Rwandan genocide, out of the conviction that objective on-the-ground reporting of humanitarian crises could help mitigate or even prevent future disasters of that magnitude. In 2015, we spun off from the UN to become a fully independent nonprofit newsroom, headquartered in Switzerland.
In March, we re-launched as The New Humanitarian, part of our goal to bring our unique reporting to wider audiences at a time when humanitarian crises have never been so global in their repercussions.
We are now seeking an experienced marketing manager to help us promote our new brand, raise the visibility of our work and craft communications for fundraising.
Role and Responsibilities
You will join our small, passionate team as we embark on this exciting new chapter. We are looking for an excellent writer, creative marketer and a self-starter, who can come up with ideas and turn them into reality. Reporting to our Director of External Relations (who also manages our fundraising), you will design and implement effective digital marketing strategies to ensure our reporting reaches new audiences. You will collaborate with our external relations, audience engagement and editorial teams to design and execute a coordinated strategy for communicating the value of our work with donors, the media and other stakeholders. You will also work closely with our management team to help build our profile online and offline.
To achieve all of this, you'll be expected to strategize and execute in the following areas:
● Overall marketing strategy: Develop and implement a marketing strategy to build our brand. This should include events, festivals, conferences and digital campaigns where applicable
● Rebrand roll-out: Identify opportunities and initiatives to roll-out our new brand to new audiences
● Promotional material: Draft, design and oversee production of key marketing and outreach material, including the annual report, promotional videos, press releases, announcements to readers, donor newsletters as well as craft material for fundraising
● Awards, festivals, conferences, media interviews and speaking opportunities: Identify opportunities for The New Humanitarian to position and showcase its work and its staff members
● Digital marketing: working alongside our audience engagement lead, help craft ads and online campaigns to encourage subscriptions and raise the profile of the brand, and measure/benchmark our performance
● Events: Support the organization of TNH events and manage the public appearances of TNH staff
● Media partnerships: Pitch and manage placement of interviews of our journalists by other media
● Donor relations: Support proposal-writing and donor outreach, as needed
● 5+ years experience working in marketing and/or advertising role (ideally in the media/news sector, but this is not essential)
● Solid grasp of international media landscape and the implications for covering international news
● Advanced knowledge of all media platforms and products – digital, social, mobile, video.
● Understanding/experience of international news in developing countries/emerging markets.
● Advanced degree in related field. A range of degrees will be considered, for example, marketing and communications, journalism
● Fluency in an additional language, particularly French.
● Multimedia production and design skills
● Experience in proposal writing and fundraising
● Experience running sales or membership campaigns
We are looking for a confident individual who can combine strategic thinking with effective operational skills and lead strategies, projects and campaigns. You must have a passion and an understanding of the media landscape and be able to segment and target an array of different international audiences ranging from high-level decision makers to the general public. The following competencies are therefore a must:
● Excellent communication skills appropriate for diverse, multicultural audiences including strong presentation skills with a flair for presenting key messages in simple and compelling ways
● Ability to work independently and comfortably manage budgets and projects
● Comfort with Google Sheets, Google Docs, PowerPoint, Excel, Trello and other project management tools
● Exceptional copy editing and copywriting skills
● Experience in SEM (Search Engine Marketing) and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) strategies and best practices
● Strong team player motivated to work hard
● Ability to thrive in a start-up environment
● Ability to deliver under pressure; work to the demands of tight deadlines; and prioritize among competing demands
● Commitment to TNH editorial values: independence, courage, humanity, authenticity, excellence, diversity, constructiveness and trustworthiness.
More on The New Humanitarian
Some 170,000 people (mostly government, UN and NGO officials, journalists, and academics) visit our website every month, 40,000 subscribe to our email newsletters, and many more access our journalism through social media and re-publication by mainstream media. Our journalism has prompted public petitions, donations and charity telethons, new aid programmes, debates in parliaments, and changes in UN policy.
Our reporting tackles many of the key issues of our time, from migration to climate change, from the war in Syria to a multi-billion-dollar aid industry in turmoil. In a recent audience survey, readers described TNH as unique in reporting on issues that many news agencies overlook; conducting exclusive investigations into the aid sector; reporting from undercovered locations; and offering expert analysis and opinions unavailable elsewhere.
Our work is regularly cited and reproduced in academic journals and local and international media outlets, including the BBC and The New York Times.
We are funded by a mix of governments and foundations.
Start date: As soon as possible
Deadline : Open until the position is filled
Location: Flexible with regular visits to our Geneva office
Compensation: Rates are competitive, negotiated based on experience
Please submit this material below to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Marketing Manager :
● Your CV;
● A letter detailing how your experience will benefit TNH and why you’d like to join us;
● Examples of marketing campaigns you developed or participated in (along with an explanation of your role); and
● Three brief ideas for steps we could take to better market ourselves.