Emergency Response – Ebola Technical Coordinator
Lead, monitor and evaluate Medair’s Ebola response in DRC, effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, defining the strategy based on real-time epidemiological data as well as gaps within the response. Oversee both health and wash components to ensure integration in the areas of community engagement; infection, prevention, and control; and in case management.
An Ebola outbreak was declared in August 2018 in North Kivu in the areas where Medair has been supporting Primary Health Care. Pre-existing emergency multi-sectoral projects targeted displaced, insecurity affected and vulnerable populations in Nord Kivu Province, in Eastern Congo. Baseline projects are focused on health, WASH and infrastructure rehabilitation, with a strong emphasis on rapid response to emergency situations in complex and unstable environments and/or remote locations. In response to the Ebola outbreak, Medair activated a new project team to address the Ebola outbreak. Medair is working in critical areas of community engagement; health facility infection, prevention, and control with safe triage; and case management. Medair currently is supporting over 90 health facilities for IPC, over 23 health areas for community engagement, and an Ebola Transit Centre in Oicha town. Additional activities will be expanded or contracted based on epidemiological spread of the disease. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Nord-Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of Congo. Interventions may be in remote and difficult to access areas for which the environment is physically challenging accessible on foot. The security context is complex and also requires constant monitoring. Take a look at Medair’s work in DR Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 9 months.
Key Activity Areas
Ebola Project Coordination
- Coordinate and determine daily strategic operations between various Ebola response teams including community engagement teams, IPC teams, and WASH teams. Coordination should be carried out with various Ebola team mangers as well as base managers.
- Provide training and technical/strategic support to the health team to provide safe screening, isolation and referral of Ebola patients in this complex conflict zone.
- Provide technical oversight for the Ebola transit centre or other case management activities.
- Provide technical support to the WASH team in their provision of WASH inputs into health facilities, in transit centres, and in communities based on knowledge Ebola transmission.
- Continuously monitor and supervise health activities to ensure quality as well as staff safety, evaluating progress through outputs and impact using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Coordinate with commissions with Medair’s work in the Ebola response, advocating for strategies and providing technical input for Medair into strategic discussions and creating of SOPs and guidelines.
- Contribute to proposal and donor strategy and development of proposals for the Ebola outbreak response.
- Support the Ebola Managers and Field Coordinators in day to day strategic planning and recommendations on staffing and operational needs.
- Support the drafting of budgets and ensuring overall cohesion of Ebola proposals across field locations.
- Provide technical input and review to ensure budgets are appropriate to address the Ebola response.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular and transparent communication with the team, the GSO Ebola Senior Health and Nutrition Advisor with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Proactively network and coordinate with the relevant coordination bodies, commissions, and health agencies. Ensure clear internal coordination, to increase integration of activities and cohesion.
- Work to prevent stock outages and ensure stock requests, purchase are being carried out in timely fashion. Provide technical input into specifications for Ebola items.
Quality Management / Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair policy and Global technical response standards.
- Responsible for setting objectives of emergency health assessments and interventions, monitoring progress against agreed indicators and exit planning.
- Develop and maintain job aids, sops, and resources to aid teams in their response interventions
- Monitoring security situation for teams in the field and working with Projects Coordinator if any action needs to be taken.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree; Previous experience working in an Ebola outbreak required or experience in other complex outbreak settings.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
- At least 1 year management experience in a health context.
- At least 1-2 years’ work experience in health in developing country.
- Willing to work long hours in a complex coordination environment.
- Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Capacity to work under pressure. Able to cope with basic living conditions.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.