Following the growth of the country programme, there is high need for some meta-analyses and extra financial support-in country. Hence there is a need to increase in-country capacity. Up to now the CD has taken over a considerable portion of proposal development. This post will help streamline field finance processes and decrease the workload on the GSO Finance Officer, Field Finance Manager and the CD. It will also serve to “decentralise” more in-country financial functions particularly towards Project managers. As a result, financial budgets will be better finalised and final draft before they come to the Global Support Office (GSO).
Emergency health projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in regions that are in crisis in DRC. WASH interventions in communities and support of health centres as part of our health emergency responses. Facilitating humanitarian access to remote areas.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Direct Project Support – field-based as much as possible
- Organise activity vs. budget review at least every 3 months for each project. As part of these reviews:
- Ensure previous reclass have been processed.
- Create / update pipeline analyses.
- Check / update procurement plans.
- Review budgets and submit budget review forms.
- Centralising reclass requests.
- Follow-up on update of all downstream documents as appropriate.
- Create action plans to recover as much expense as possible, e.g. suggest concrete ways to downscale beneficiary activities if objectives are forecasted to be exceeded in order to better recover some essential support posts.
- Ensure standard budgets are fully functional, supporting documents are uploaded and up to date as well as standard budget narratives. Establish and keep up to date already-made donor mapping.
- Monitoring project spending on an on-going basis, communicating with the relevant programme managers about any under/ over spend and working with them to agree appropriate actions required in order to bring spending in line with approved budgets.
- Maintain detailed program implementation plan and ensure update every quarter at a minimum.
- Support audits as required in preparing the relevant financial documents. Provide advice or discussion to GSO staff as needed to discuss financial-relating matters.
Donor & Grant Management
- Liaising with the Institutional Donor Relations, Finance & Communications and Fundraising teams in GSO to coordinate and consolidate the preparation of timely financial reports for donors.
- Prepare financial reports enabling all donor requirements and deadlines are met with only final version and/or check left to be done at GSO level. Review reports before they are submitted.
- Maintain an overview of the country programme’s relationships with, and funding from Medair’s key institutional donors providing analysis and information to senior management.
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate systems and procedures to ensure the compliance with donor contracts and other requirements. Focal point for existing grants for all non-technical questions.
- Participate due diligence on the viability of potential new partnerships and prepare Medair to potentially lead a consortium.
- Review all proposals, operational reports, procurement plans, and other relevant documents to ensure consistency in all figures, etc.
Portfolio & Programme Management
- Develop strategic documents and targets for managing Congo’s portfolio.
- Help to establish a list of priority for the project development team in order to maximise the use of limited resources. Work towards more balanced portfolio.
- Raise alerts and concerns as appropriate, propose corrective plan/ mitigations as soon as possible and lead implementation of all financial-related action plans.
- Give target to affiliates based on most efficient compromise between funding need and ease of access for marketing resources.
- Monitoring our contribution to GSO and CODH to enable greater flexibility in the use of CODPF within the limits allocated by the IBOT.
- Maximise in-country recovery through studies that summarise the funding level per base and per “component” of the country programme.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and/or Certified Public Accountant (or equivalent) completed, and/or HR qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- At least 2 years in relevant professional experience in a financial or HR position.
- Competent with Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- High numeracy skills. Excellent attention to detail. Good inter-personal and conflict resolution, and negotiating skills. Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Able to develop, coach and support other team members, both international and national staff.
- Able to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels, to regular deadlines.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.