Provide technical advice and support to field management and shelter staff. On a day-to-day basis this involves developing, leading, monitoring and evaluating the shelter aspects of the country programme. It will include coordinating and networking at a senior level with national and regional authorities and other NGOs, providing capacity building for national and international staff, championing best practice (international and Medair) in the shelter programmes, developing the sector strategy, seeking new funding opportunities based on the needs in NFIs, shelter and infrastructure, and contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair implements multi-sector programmes in Kirkuk, Salah al Din, Ninewa and Dohuk governorates, providing health, WASH, shelter/NFI, multi-purpose cash and integrated MHPSS support for vulnerable communities and IDPs both in and out of camp settings. Take a look at Medair’s Shelter & Infrastructure work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Iraq based in Erbil with regular travel to the field locations. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Shelter Project Management
- Maintain an overview of the country shelter programme and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in the country program.
- Give technical advice to field managers and GSO on potential involvement in new shelter interventions and shelter capacity for implementation.
- Provide technical support to the shelter teams in all project sites, including community engagement, the development of need assessments and analysis, the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports within the required timeframes.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits with other field managers, ensuring that project objectives are met within the stated time-frames and in accordance with recognised international standards.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Responsible for the quality of all shelter and reconstruction projects in-country.
- Develop and maintain relationships with UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Seek out relevant networks or task groups on specific shelter-related humanitarian aid issues and actively participate, if possible.
- Accompany donors on field trips, as requested, and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional manner.
- Be involved in the recruitment of shelter staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills and experience as requested.
- Ensure that all shelter staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints. Plan and develop training material.
- Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of shelter staff, particularly technical skills.
- Work with the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct shelter budgets.
- Ensure the shelter project expenditure is in line with approved budgets, advising on potential under / over spend and recommending appropriate corrective action.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure shelter projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, CHS, etc.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of shelter programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Maintain a resource library for the shelter team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector. Ensure all shelter staff have access to necessary and appropriate information.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- BSc / BEng in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Advanced leadership and project management skills. Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant post-qualification professional experience, in a management position in the construction field (e.g., design, supervision of projects).
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.