Provide technical advice and support to the health field teams and to other multi-sector staff across different project sites as requested. Responsible to develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the health aspects of the Iraq country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health authorities and other NGOs. Lead on all health elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promote best practice in the health programmes and contributing to the overall management of the country programme. Work closely with the MHPSS advisor to ensure integrated MHPSS within the health programme.
Medair implements multi-sector programmes in Kirkuk, Salah al Din, Ninewa and Dohuk governorates, providing health, WASH, shelter/NFI, multi-purpose cash and integrated MHPSS support for vulnerable communities and IDPs both in and out of camp settings. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Workplace & Conditions
Iraq based in Erbil with regular travel to the field locations. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible, full time with minimum 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the health programmes and of the country context, with a view to strategically developing new projects, and proactively planning for responsible exit.
- Give technical advice to field project managers and GSO on potential involvement in new health interventions and internal health capacity for implementation.
- Provide technical support to the health teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits in conjunction with other field managers, ensuring that project objectives are met within the stated timeframes and recognised international standards.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain an oversight of medicines and health supplies ordered for the health projects, supporting the health, nutrition, and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of health supplies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Together with the health project managers and MHPSS advisor, develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Seek out relevant networks or task groups on specific health-related humanitarian aid issues and actively participate, if possible.
- Accompany donors on field trips, and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional manner.
- Be involved in the recruitment of health staff for the programme, providing advice on technical skills.
- Ensure that health staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints. Plan and develop training material as required with support from GSO advisors as needed, and where appropriate in cooperation with Health Advisors in the region.
- Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of health staff, particularly technical skills.
- Work with the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct health budgets.
- Ensure the health project expenditure is in line with approved budgets, advising on potential under/over spend and recommending appropriate corrective action.
Ensure health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the Senior Health Advisor at GSO regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to GSO advisors as well as field staff on the quality of health programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Overall responsibility for staff health/occupational health procedures and compliance and development of procedures in-country, supporting the designated field staff health focal points in each base in ensuring that health procedures and compliance and development procedures are in place.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in Christian faith-based team settings. Contribute to the spiritual life of the team, such as team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor), or Public Health degree; Medical doctor desirable.
- Clinical degree with Public Health or MSc in International/Global Health degree strongly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years’ experience in managing programmes in international public health work, with at least 2 years in humanitarian emergency context.
- 1 year managing and coordinating emergency responses – outbreaks, displaced populations, and/or nutritional emergencies desirable.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of public health programmes.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced leadership, project management, planning, assessment and analytical skills.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.