GENDER AND PROTECTION ADVISOR
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE seeks a passionate Gender & Protection (GBV) Advisor responsible for coordinating the development and implementation of the gender/protection thematic programs in line with the overall CARE Strategic Plan, and Gender thematic strategies and Programming guidelines. S/he will provide technical and methodological support to CARE’s country program in relation to gender work. The Gender & Protection Advisor will actively contribute to define strategies advancing gender work in South Sudan through research, partnership, alliance building and advocacy initiatives. S/he provides leadership in cross-learning and knowledge generation for thematic alignment in relation to CARE’s gender strategic priorities across the organization. The position supports the building of systems, structures, capacity of staff and partners to put women’s rights at the heart of programming in SS.
Reporting to the Assistant Country Director for Programs (ACD-P), s\he is responsible for ensuring program quality of CARE’s GBV programs, and lead in the establishment of quality GBV Case-Management services. The Gender/Protection Advisor ensures GBV mainstreaming and integration in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of sectorial and multi-sectorial programs. S/he further contributes to the quality of GBV prevention and mitigation programming in other programs/sectors (FSL SRH/Health and Nutrition). S/he will build the capacity of the program staff delivering GBV prevention, mitigation and response services in line with international and CARE standards. S/he will directly supervise GBV Manager for Case Management (CM) and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) in all the steps and processes of case-management. S/he ensures case management services are in place and that the GBV Information Management System (GBV) is used ethically; and that data entry, storage and sharing are according to the prescribed international standards and principles. The GBV Advisor ensures that processes and systems are in place to ensure the well-being of CARE’s GBV program staff and volunteers, especially those who are providing direct GBV services or are in regular contact with survivors
• Lead team-based approaches and process with staff and partners to identify and secure Gender and protection funding for viable humanitarian and development programs in line with CO strategy.
• Provide technical leadership and support to proposal development for Protection, Gender including theory of change and budget development; support mainstreaming of gender & protection in all proposal development
• Represent CARE by regularly participating at the relevant sector fora, conferences, and high-level meetings and both health and nutrition humanitarian cluster
• Provide effective staff and portfolio management including regular monitoring and feedback.
• Provide leadership to ensure the overall technical quality of all CARE South Sudan Gender and Protection programming
• Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Social Work, International Relations, Conflict Transformation, Development Studies, or related discipline
• At least (5) years’ experience working on protection and gender equality and mainstreaming in humanitarian contexts, including experience of field-level management of complex humanitarian response and resilience programs.
• Experience in coordination roles supporting multiple offices/locations/teams
• Experience working in remote management in South Sudan or similar context
• Experience in Protection and GBV programming in Emergency, gender transformative programming and Resource mobilization/fundraising
• Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written)
To apply for this position, please visit our website at https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CAREU...
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click *here.*
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.