Health and Nutrition Officer-Yeed
Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for a suitable Somali candidate to fill the position of Health and Nutrition Field Officer. The position will be based in Yeed-Somalia. The incumbent reports to the Field Manager-Yeed.
The Health and Nutrition Field Officer will support and coordinate the management of acute malnutrition , maternal and child health activities in Yeed
- Monitor community level activities including screening, referral and management of SAM and MAM.
- Support the Program team to ensure coverage of CMAM, ICCM,IMCI and maternal health services across all the fixed and outreach sites through development of weekly work plans.
- Ensure that CHWs’ activities at the community level are on course and the team offers required support to ensure routine mass MUAC screening and active case findings meet the required standards.
- Ensure proper documentation of activities at both the community and health facility level ensuring that accurate beneficiary records are maintained.
- Ensure that the health facilities keep updated stock of all essential supplies and requisitions for health and nutrition supplies are made in a timely manner.
- Check that the medical and nutritional protocols are respected: admission and discharge criteria, frequency of measurement, distribution of food and systematic treatment protocols are followed
- Ensure cleanliness of the premises,
- Check that the stock and pharmacy are managed well, the supply of items needed in the CMAM team, follow up the equipment’s and general supplies.
- Ensure proper filling of OPD,ANC,PNC,OTP/TSFP registers and referral forms and that anthropometric and nutritional data are entered correctly.
The Health and Nutrition Field Officer’s core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
Objective 1: Team Management:
- Ensure the follow up of attendance and the punctuality in the time table and adherence to the work plans.
- Check if the staff respect their tasks and responsibilities.
- Ensure that staff are organised according to work load.
- Organise staff regular staff meetings and provide minutes to the Nairobi office.
- Identify training needs and organise refresher trainings on a regular basis.
- Support in capacity building of the Health and nutrition teams on IMAM and IYCF,IMCI and maternal healh.
Objective 2: Participate in the internal and external communication:
- Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries and partners involved regularly.
- Participate in weekly coordination meetings at field level with the staff
- Organise regular meetings with other agencies in the area and plan for joint activities.
- Represent ACF in meetings with MOH and Partners within the region.
Objective 3: Data collection, analysis and monitoring:
- Write a weekly report giving a clear and exhaustive update of activities carried out (facility and Community level activities), problems met, important observations, objectives for the following week and proposition to improve the quality and quantity care.
- Follow-up of all the data/reports provided by the medical and nutrition teams in the field.
- Ensure timely submission of all the reports in the field according to the stipulated deadlines.
- Monitor trends and update the HoDs and field manager on areas of concern
- Diploma in Nutrition, Public Health, Nursing, Social Sciences or related fields
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in a similar field in Somalia context
- Fluent in written and spoken Somali and English
- Good analytical skills
Skills and Experience
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Coping with high workload, irregular working hours and sometimes challenging working environments.
- Demonstrate team spirit
- Knowledge and adherence to Humanitarian Code of Conduct
- Self Confidence: Holds themselves accountable for meeting their objectives.
- Achievement drive: Sets priorities, identifies needs and plans what must be done.
- Initiative/Innovativeness: Seeks out fresh ideas from a wide variety of sources and revises own views when presented with new information. Anticipates outcomes of situations and acts to steer them in the desired direction.
- Decision Making: Gathers relevant information before making decisions and consults line managers before taking action
- Influencing/persuasive: Obtains agreement through collaboration and effectively selects the appropriate style in any situation.
- Leadership: Develops opportunities for the organization and sector and looks for future trends and issues to meet the challenges
- Change catalyst: Challenges themselves and others to review and question the effectiveness of standard approaches and is a role model and demonstrates a positive acceptance of change
- Quality: Strives to work to the highest quality in all situations and produce the highest quality outputs, through attention to detail and thoroughness
- Communication: Is clear and coherent in both writing and verbal skills. Collects data and prepares reports to match the audience. Develops monitoring and evaluation methods and systems.
- Analytical and critical thinking: Probes information and assumptions to establish facts and identifies common themes.
Applications, should include a CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 29th April 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Health and Nutrition FO-Yeed. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Somalia nationals