Health Communications Manager- Mogadishu
Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for a suitable Somali candidate to fill the position of Health Communications Manager. The position will be based in Mogadishu. The incumbent reports to the Head of Health and Nutrition Department.
The Health Communications Manager will be responsible for the increased informed demand for maternal, child health services delivered through SHINE health facilities.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to all BCC and demand creation interventions and health communication activities.
- Setting IPC sites and targets for project implementation areas.
- Track and measure communication activities, develop reports for management and for donor.
- Supervise and mentor the health communications officers
- Lead the selection and recruitment of community influencers and FHW
- Ensure targets and demand creation objectives are achieved in their area.
- Document and develop a collection of success stories from the field and curate library of stories for use in reports, articles, communications activities, and impact reports.
- Ensure accurate and timely tracking and reporting of targets through MIS.
- Engage the MOH to ensure buy in of program activities, adaptation and approval for communication materials.
- Lead the development of Information, Education, and Communication materials relevant to Action Against Hunger’s key audiences in line with the various project objectives
- Make sure the quality and content of IPC activities are at optimum standards as per curriculum, approach and key messages.
- Performance would be based on behaviour change impact within their communities in terms of effective referrals and service utilization as well as number of Health Communications officers who achieve their targets who achieve their targets.
- Perform any other duties as required by health communications Manager or management team.
The Health Communications Manager’s core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
Objective 1: Team Management:
Ensure the follow up of attendance and the punctuality of the staff.
Ensure that staff are organised according to work load.
Organise regular staff meetings and provide minutes to the HoD.
Identify training needs and provide and/or organize training and refresher training for their team, in technical, programmatic and operational areas, as needed.
Objective 2: Participate in the internal and external communication:
- Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries and partners involved regularly.
- Participate in weekly coordination meetings at field level with the staff
- Ensure that high quality communications and promotional materials (e.g. flipcharts, radio and TV campaigns, data collection tools, brochures, Agent uniforms, badges, etc) and other materials are developed and produced.
Objective 3: Data collection, analysis and monitoring:
Write periodic reports giving a clear and exhaustive update of activities carried out.
Follow-up of all the data/reports provided by the female community workers.
Ensure timely submission of all the reports in the field according to the stipulated timelines.
- Nurse, Midwife or Community Health Extension worker. A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Has at least five years professional experience as a team leader / in a supervisory role;
- Relevant community-based experience in Maternal and Child Health, training and/or communication;
- Strong sense of responsibility and ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Prior experience in group facilitation and mentoring experience strongly preferred;
- Prior experience in Community Demand Creation or Inter Personal Communication and a supervisory / coaching role strongly preferred
Skills and Experience
- Our ideal candidate has extensive experience “owning” tasks and learning quickly. S/he thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, enjoys multi-tasking & monitoring trends for behaviour change, strives to take on responsibility, and takes pride in ensuring that every detail is checked and a job is well done.
- Good communication ,organisational , analytical and reporting skills
- Demonstrate team spirit
- Knowledge and adherence to Humanitarian Code of Conduct
- Self Confidence: Holds themselves accountable for meeting their objectives.
- Achievement drive: Sets priorities, identifies needs and plans what must be done.
- Initiative/Innovativeness: Seeks out fresh ideas from a wide variety of sources and revises own views when presented with new information. Anticipates outcomes of situations and acts to steer them in the desired direction.
- Decision Making: Gathers relevant information before making decisions and consults line managers before taking action
- Influencing/persuasive: Obtains agreement through collaboration and effectively selects the appropriate style in any situation.
- Quality: Strives to work to the highest quality in all situations and produce the highest quality outputs, through attention to detail and thoroughness
- Communication: Is clear and coherent in both writing and verbal skills. Collects data and prepares reports to match the audience.
- Analytical and critical thinking: Probes information and assumptions to establish facts and identifies common themes
Applications, should include a CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 29th April 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Health Communications Manager-Mogadishu. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Somalia nationals