TOR FOR TRAINING CONSULTANCY IN KISMAYO; PROJECT CYCLE MANAGEMENT
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
TRAINING CONSULTANCY IN KISMAYO; PROJECT CYCLE MANAGEMENT
CARE is one of the leading humanitarian organizations fighting global poverty and providing lifesaving assistance in emergencies. Its programmes go beyond meeting basic needs at the onset of an emergency to helping affected communities recover and rebuild their lives long after the crisis end. CARE has been working in Somalia since 1981, implementing a variety of projects across all regions of the country. Initially, CARE’s work focused on emergency response activities, but the portfolio has evolved from emergency relief to include rehabilitation and development projects. Current interventions include education, livelihood programming, water and sanitation, emergency, pastoralist activities, civil society development, peace building, and natural resource management among others. CARE is active in Somaliland, Puntland and South Central Somalia with offices in most of the states whereby part of the interventions are implemented by local development partners.
Human resource is one of the best resources and assets of any organization. Organizations endeavors to ensure to recruit the best staff with relevant skills and qualifications for the position required. In that case organizations undertake continuously develop and mentor its staff to ensure quality work output and retention in order to motivate the personnel. Therefore in lieu of aforementioned, CARE’s emergency team have to be equipped with the relevant skills and knowledge in order for them to have edge over the others, to ensure prudent resource utilization being accountable and show transparency to all stakeholders. The staff are supposed to have the skills to relate with the beneficiaries who are the most vulnerable in the communities and to be served with dignity. Aid workers not only do they need to understand the present needs and the resources available in order to plan and respond effectively to emergencies but also need to have the knowledge of project cycle management.
The training is meant to improve the effectiveness of personnel engaged in humanitarian intervention by taking them through all stages of project cycle management from inception to exit and including exit strategy. The training is expected to equip the staff with the skills in ensuring stakeholders are engaged in a receptive manner. The training is expected to be an interactive course that utilizes group exercises and focuses on discussions, giving them the opportunity to share ideas and experiences.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
The overall objective of the training is to equip a pool of CARE’s emergency project staff and its partners’ engaged in emergencies delivery with the requisite skills that will enable them to respond to emergencies with ease while it takes to account the steps involved in emergency protocols.
- To build the capacity of 10-20 of CARE and Partners staff in project cycle management.
- To ensure that the trained staff will have the means and knowledge to institutionalize these newly acquired skills by actively participating in the management of emergency response projects.
CARE is seeking a qualified consultant or consulting firm experienced in conducting Training on project cycle management in emergencies in Garowe, Puntland state. This will be five days training and the participants will be drawn from CARE Emergency staff and partner organization staff. The consultants are expected to capacity build the participants and equip them with the skills to undertake implementing of projects from inception, needs assessments to exiting. The consultant/s are expected to deliver the training through a participatory approach so that participants are actively engaged throughout the training and derive maximum benefit from the training. The consultant/s are expected develop a training package covering what training of project management entails.
The consultant/s are expected to expose the participants with practical aspects of scenarios in emergencies to enable them to demonstrate newly acquired knowledge and skills to perfect their duties when handling projects in emergency setups or so. The consultant/s are expected to develop training package to be used by CARE while ensuring consistency in the use of simple methodologies, language and training approach.
- A simple training manual to be used by the trainees that adequately covers all stages of project cycle management that can be used by CARE and the participants of the training.
- A detailed report of the training, based on actual training contents as well as clearly capturing discussions from the participants with recommendations.
- Conduct five day training in project cycle management in Garowe for 10-20 participants.
- At the end of the training, the participants should be able to understand better and apply frameworks and principles of project cycle management and apply the concept of community participations
- Develop a clear post-training action plan and follow up.
The training approach, content, training aids and case studies need to be well designed in order to deliver high quality results. To achieve this, consultants must consider the following:
Principles of adult learning
Use of real situation and examples from the context or similar contexts
HOW training is delivered is almost as important as WHAT is delivered
Design and plan an effective project cycle management training course employing tools appropriate for the approach in each stage of the project cycle
Demonstrate an understanding of the humanitarian context and underlying principles
Describe the importance of using a participatory approach throughout the project cycle
7. Demonstrate an understanding of the key skills, personal attributes and competencies required by a facilitator who has the skills of community development agent.
The successful applicant should meet the following requirements:
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant field
- A strong technical background in the relevant field and at least five (5) years of hands on experience in training of trainers or training of facilitators
- Demonstrated experience in training
- Previous work experience and knowledge of Somalia or Horn of Africa
The training will be a one-time training and is planned for first week of March 2019 (3rd -7th). Interested professionals should submit a technical and financial proposal. Each application should include the following:
- A cover letter indicating selected area of training and previous experience that matches the objectives of the consultancy. The letter should be brief, concise but adequately addressing requirements;
- The consultancy approach, methodology and work plan;
- Updated CVs including relevant work experience, formal education, qualifications and contact details of 3 references;
- A sample of a similar assignment done recently;
- Consultancy rate per day in US dollars.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your updated CV and technical proposal to SOM.Consultant@care.org latest on or before 20th February 2019, quoting the title " TRAINING CONSULTANCY IN KISMAYO; PROJECT CYCLE MANAGEMENT"
Due to the urgency, CVs & proposal will be reviewed immediately and potential candidates may be contacted before deadline.
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female Lead consultants are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org