Mental Health Psycho- Social Support (MHPSS) Specialist
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
The MHPSS Specialist will provide technical oversight training and capacity building of the MHPSS department and ensure the quality, relevance and technical innovation of IMC's programming.
- Build capacity for MHPSS staff in community outreach, mental health case management, psycho-social support, psychological interventions, training and community-based activities
- Data management and reporting
- Assist with the development of new proposals
- Identify and reinforce existing support mechanisms and work closely with local counterparts to ensure community buy-in and cultural appropriateness of activities
- Build referral pathways
- Review all services for quality technical oversight
- Facilitate case discussions and presentations
- Ensure on the job mentoring and supervision of MHPSS staff and conduct staff assessments, appraisals and supervision checklists
- Provide training in other MHPSS topics as appropriate, depending on identified needs (e.g. Psychological First Aid, IASC guidelines) to IMC staff and staff from other agencies
- Implement the project in line with IMC and global MHPSS standards and guidelines
- Development and review of training materials and reports
- Contribute to information-sharing and data management systems
- Maintain flexibility to take on added responsibility as and when needed
- Actively lead or participate in external coordination mechanisms such as MHPSS Working Group
- Selection, training and management of program staff
- Assess MHPSS training needs and design training plan for program staff
- Develop support and self-care strategies for staff
- Review work, spending and procurement plans in line with financial pipelines
- Ensure compliance with donor financial regulations
- Ensure compliance with security protocols and policies
- Consider security implications of all program activities and new initiatives
- Perform other duties as assigned by the MHPSS Coordinator Provide training and on the-job-supervision in the identification and management of priority mental health conditions to general health staff in line with WHO guidelines relevant to the assessment, management and referral of priority mental health conditions in line with WHO mhGAP Intervention Guidelines (WHO mhGAP-IG version 2.0) and in coordination with local health authorities and the IMC Technical Unit.
- Provide training for IMC and Non IMC staff, working with other partners and so on to better understand international MHPSS guidelines including mhGAP-IG, IASC and Sphere standards through trainings and bi-lateral discussions.
- Capacity building for IMC staff, identifying areas for capacity building and arranging trainings and clinical consultation meetings
- Identify and train staff in detection and referral of suspected cases of mental disorders and psychological distress and mental health promotion.
- Ensure completion and analysis of pre and post knowledge tests and on the job supervision checklists.
- Work with partners and local health authorities to ensure that WHO essential psychotropic medications are available at community based level in the health facilities.
- Take responsibility for collection and reporting of MHPSS project data
- Actively participate in coordination mechanisms (e.g. Health cluster meetings, MHPSS sub-working groups, general coordination meetings, etc.) providing technical input when required
- Assist with hiring of staff as needed
- Implement the project activities in line with IMC and global MHPSS standards and guidelines and closely coordinate with IMCs MHPSS Technical Unit – Global MHPSS Advisor and the MHPSS Coordinator for review and development of training materials, documentation and reports. All material is to be reviewed and developed based on updated assessments and surveys.
- Write clinical reports and/or case studies related to MHPSS when required.
- Submit quarterly updates based on the work-plan. This update will include recommendations necessary for the improvement of the technical work of MHPSS staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the MHPSS Manager.
- Psychiatrist with 3+ years’ experience working on MHPSS programs
- Training and supervision experience required.
- Trained on mhGAP manual (IG and HIG)
- Experience in mental health and protection work with displaced persons, refugees, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
- Preferably has experience working in in humanitarian/low resource settings
- Experience working in middle east
- Experience and skills in training non-professionals
- Experience of advocacy / engagement with government and non-governmental organizations
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills and interpersonal skills with the ability to work within different cultural environment.
- Ability to work in difficult environment under very basic living conditions.
- Ability to work within a team structure or in isolation, flexible, and can cope with stressful workloads and working with limited resources.
- Knowledge of the IASC Guidelines on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings.
- Good command of English (speaking & writing).
- Excellent command of the use of Microsoft Office especially Outlook, Work, Excel and Power Point.
- Good communication, teamwork skills and ability to work independently.
- Team player with high ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and/or Kurdish would be an asset.