Executive Director – Bogota’, Colombia
About Oxfam Colombia
Oxfam’s affiliates are currently working on a 2020 vision for the work of the Oxfams across the world that will devolve responsibility to the global south, in a network of interdependent affiliates, with more affiliates from the global south, and all affiliates undertaking resource generation and influencing in their home market, collectively resourcing and delivering one set of programmes, all bound together by values, mission, strategy, decision making, resource allocation mechanisms, standards, processes, systems and shared services.
Greater presence and power in the south will increase Oxfam’s contribution to transformational change in people’s lives in those countries and also make Oxfam a more equitable, balanced and thus globally influential organization.
As part of the 2020 vision, Oxfam is in the process to establish a new affiliate in Colombia. Oxfam is seeking an Executive Director to lead on the establishment and the development of Oxfam Colombia.
About the Role
Oxfam Colombia Executive Board
To lead and drive effective change in order to ensure Oxfam Colombia is fit for purpose and can optimize its contribution to Oxfam transformation agenda.
To lead on the establishment of Oxfam Colombia ensuring financial and organisational sustainability.
To lead on the development and implementation, together with Oxfam Colombia Board, of Oxfam Colombia Strategy.
Achievement of these aims will demand a rare combination of leadership, professional expertise, communication skills, energy and integrity.
The emphasis of this job is to lead and drive the establishment of a sustainable organization in Colombia and to manage Oxfam Colombia affiliation process.
Reporting to Oxfam Colombia Board, the Executive Director is responsible for leading Oxfam Colombia and Oxfam Colombia affiliation process.
The Executive Director will be also responsible to build and maintain the relationship with Oxfam International and Oxfam Affiliates.
As the public face of Oxfam Colombia, the Executive Director will have the capacity to represent Oxfam at a high level in public and private institutions, in international forums, media and with the donor community.
S/he will have a deep understanding and experience of rights-based development; high-quality work in long-term development, campaigns and humanitarian response. S/he will have a commitment to transparency and accountability for impact.
The Executive Director will need an outstanding ability to develop a long-term strategy for Oxfam Colombia by working with a wide range of stakeholders. S/he will have experience in shaping organisations and managing complex processes to ensure effective collaboration.
Within the framework of policy and strategy determined by Oxfam Colombia Board:
• Lead and develop the organisational strategy in order to ensure that it is well positioned, which attract financial support.
• Actively work with and advise the Board on all matters and monitoring and reporting on progress against strategy.
• Develop and secure the financial and human resources to implement Oxfam Colombia strategy and policy.
• Ensure the appropriate recruitment, management, development and retention of staff.
• Develop and lead an ambitious and diversified income generating This will be achieved through strategies to attract, develop and retain supporters.
• Oversee fundraising activities and ensure annual targets are achieved.
• Establish and develop relationships with donors and partners to facilitate and deliver funding.
• Act as the public face of Oxfam Colombia and engage with stakeholders in order to build the organization’s influence and reputation.
• Submit to Oxfam Colombia Board a proposed annual budget and regular financial reports, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
• Ensure that an accurate annual audit is completed and reported to the Oxfam Colombia Board.
• Manage resources in a way that operates within an approved budget and ensures maximum resource utilisation.
• Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights (click here).
• Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
• Experience of working at either Chief Executive or Senior Management level in the private, public or not for profit sector and leading growth.
• Vision, flexibility and the capacity for innovation to respond to rapid change in the global environment.
• Strategic and lateral thinking with an ability to involve other people and build on their ideas.
• Able to work effectively as a leader and to build credibility and trust among a wide range of stakeholders.
• Outstanding skills in building collective commitment to a clear vision and strategy.
Organization and managerial capability:
• Effective problem-solving and ability to shape organisational designs and processes to ensure effective collaboration.
• Ability to evaluate and judge complex issues and distinguish critical priorities to ensure an effective focus.
• Track record of motivating and managing teams to achieve outstanding results.
• Experience in strategic and financial planning and level of complexity with evidence of managing complex budgets and contracts.
• Experience of reporting to a Board and an understanding of what constitutes good governance.
• Experience of deepening relationships with existing funding and strategic partners and of developing new streams of income.
• Superior communication skills in both Spanish and English.
• Cross-cultural sensitivity.
• Excellent inter-personal skills; diplomatic and demonstrable mediation and negotiation abilities.
• Fluency in both Spanish and English languages is essential.
• An excellent understanding of the issues and causes of social and economic injustice, inequities, poverty and suffering and their manifestations in Colombia.
• Substantive knowledge of NGOs work in development programs, public policy and advocacy and disaster relief operations.
• Willingness and ability to travel and work outside normal office hours, including occasional weekend and evening work;
• Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
• Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
• Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
• Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
• Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
• Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
To apply for this role, kindly send through a Microsoft Word version of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are suited to this role. Please mark it for the attention of Javier Martin Cantera email address: email@example.com. Please subject your email with the following reference: OI_ED_COL
Please note that the interview dates for this role will be confirmed with you should your application be successful.