Short term Case worker
The IRC has a rich history of assisting refugees to apply for U.S. resettlement, from its founding in 1933 to help vulnerable individuals escape Nazi-occupied Europe, to pioneering the Joint Voluntary Agency which assisted Indochinese refugees for 22 years, to operations in Croatia, Sierra Leone and Sudan. Over the years, IRC has processed some half million refugees worldwide for U.S. resettlement.
Based in Bangkok with field offices in Thailand and Malaysia, the Resettlement Support Center (RSC) assists persons throughout Asia seeking permanent resettlement in the United States. RSC prepares refugee applications for the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), provides information to resettlement agencies about arriving refugees and offers cultural orientation training to those refugees bound for the U.S.
Job Overview/Summary: The Caseworker (CW) provides both general processing and casework services on behalf of refugee applicants for the USRAP. This position, while falling within the Casework Department, may spend a portion of the contract seconded to other departments within the organization and/or USRAP partner organizations. The CW also performs other office functions outside of the general responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor. This position reports to the Casework Coordinator, however day to day support and guidance will be provided by Casework Managers.
• Conduct prescreening interviews of refugee applicants in accordance with RSC standards
• Ensure accurate data entry into the WRAPS database system
• Perform quality control checks to finalize cases for USCIS presentation
• Provide accurate information to refugee applicants regarding USRAP
• Communicate with immediate supervisor regarding developments in daily caseloads, including urgent protection needs or medical conditions of applicants and their families
• Assist with review and follow up on long-term hold caseloads
• Perform other duties as assigned, inclusive of deployment to assist other RSC departments and possibly partner organizations within the USRAP.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Casework Manager
Indirect Reporting: Casework Coordinator, Malaysia
Senior Program Coordinator, Malaysia
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC Malaysia Staff
• University education in a related field is preferred; equivalent combination of education and direct experience will be considered
• Minimum of two years USRAP experience in a domestic or overseas capacity preferable
• Minimum of one year of experience in a refugee facing context
• Previous experience working at a Resettlement Support Center extremely helpful
• Familiarity with the WRAPS database highly desirable
• Experience working in a multi-cultural environment is preferred
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Strong typing aptitude, with a minimum of 40 – 50 words per minute
• Ability to perform data collection utilizing good listening and analytical skills, being meticulous, and consistently producing work with a high level of accuracy
• Good report writing skills – ability to produce narrative reports with minimal errors in comprehension and grammar
• Capable of completing thorough quality control on case files and follow up on reports
• Good communication skills with a pleasant demeanor
• Able to multitask, work effectively under pressure, and manage repetitive work
• Team oriented yet able to think and work independently
• Flexible and able to work in fast-paced, multi-cultural environment
• High level of professionalism and integrity while carrying out duties
Computer and Language Skills:
• Computer Literacy – high level of competence in Ms Office i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Outlook
• Excellent verbal and written English language skills
• Ability to work with interpreters
Working Environment: The employee is required to adhere to the “IRC Way” for professional conducts, as well as to be in compliance with all relevant Policies and Procedures while carrying his/her duties.
All other employee terms and conditions shall be as stipulated in the Employment Contract and/or Employee Handbook.
Applications to be submitted on:https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&i...