Senior Technical Specialist - Human Health, Freetown Sierra Leone
FHI 360 seeks a Senior Technical Specialist - Human Health for an anticipated The Fleming Fund Country Grant for Sierra Leone—Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance in Sierra Leone. The Country Grant will address critical gaps in surveillance of antibiotic resistant bacteria in Sierra Leone. This grant will support implementation of national plans for antimicrobial resistance (AMR) surveillance, and will focus on selected number of AMR surveillance sites. We will work closely with local entities that are already involved in AMR surveillance, AMR/AMU oversight and improvement activities, local and national Technical Working Groups and national and regional reference laboratories for human and animal health, participating AMR/AMU surveillance sites, and other government and national and international non-government stakeholders, and UN agencies as well as Mott MacDonald, The Fleming Fund Management Agent.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
This position will be responsible for activities related to strengthening the capacity and systems for AMR/AMU surveillance in humans. This position is based in Freetown with frequent field visits (around 50 percent) in different parts of Sierra Leone. Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical assistance to collect, assemble, and review data related to AMR and AMU patterns in human populations.
- Provide technical assistance/participate in epidemiological investigations (e.g., source, antibiotic use, and spread of infection).
- Provide technical assistance/participate in mapping/investigating/assessing antibiotic distribution and use in human populations.
- Provide technical assistance for assessments and improvements of the human health reference laboratory, clinical laboratories/human AMR/AMU surveillance sites.
- Provide technical assistance for sample collection, coordination, and transport.
- Conduct supportive supervision and monitoring of, and onsite coaching and mentoring to the national reference laboratory and human AMR/AMU surveillance sites, as well as renovation work of selected surveillance sites.
- Support Senior Technical Advisor to provide technical assistance to establish and make functional Human AMR/AMU TWG. Provide support to conduct and participate in Animal AMR/AMU TWG meeting.
- Share the findings including AMR/AMU trends to Human AMR/AMU TWG quarterly and annually.
- Provide technical assistance to prepare and submit AMR/AMU-related data and report as per the national, regional and global standard and requirements.
Bachelor’s degree in microbiology or other relevant subject and 8 years of experience in human health, a clinical (preferably including microbiology, AMR/AMU or disease surveillance) laboratory, or a related area. Masters’ degree with 5 years of similar experience is considered equivalent. Medical Technologist with relevant work experience are preferred. This combination of education and work experience would provide the following relevant specialized knowledge and skills in areas associated with human health:
- Human nutrition, care, treatment, and health
- Microbiology and related laboratory techniques
- Biosafety and biosecurity and how to apply principles
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with stakeholders
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in an IT environment
- Strong coordination, communication, and interpersonal aptitudes
- Fluency in English
- AMR/AMU and disease surveillance and other relevant health programs (strongly preferred)
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
How to Apply:
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.