Executive Director, Central Asian Regional Environmental Centre (CAREC)
Name of the Position: CAREC Executive Director
Location: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Duration and form of the contract: 3 years fixed term contract with possibility of extension (maximum duration 6 years)
Probation period: 6 months
Closing date: 05 March 2019
The Regional Environmental Centre for Central Asia (CAREC) is an independent, non-political and non-for-profit international organization was created to assist the Central Asian governments, international, regional and national stakeholders in addressing environmental and sustainability challenges across Central Asian region and Afghanistan.
By promoting dialogue and collaboration among all environmental stakeholders, CAREC has today become a leading regional knowledge hub in the field of environment and sustainable development recognized by national, regional and international partners.
CAREC was established in 2001 by a joint decision of all five Central Asian states (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan), European Union and UNDP, following the resolution of the IV Pan-European Conference held in 1998, Aarhus (Denmark).
The Regional Environmental Centre for Central Asia possesses a unique mandate granted by five Central Asian states. CAREC has a mission to assist Central Asian states in addressing their national and regional environmental issues.
For this purpose, CAREC provides the platform for interstate and multisectoral dialogue allowing introduction of cutting-edge know-how, knowledge and technologies in the region. This, in turn, promotes the deployment and application of innovative environmental policies, approaches and techniques, involvement of the public in environmental decision-making, and improvement of information exchange on the regional level.
CAREC goals and objectives:
• to promote intersectoral dialogue among national- and local-level authorities, NGO’s, local communities, the private sector and donor organizations on issues of environmental sustainability in the Central Asian region;
• to build capacity of accessing international expertise, knowledge, best practices and advanced technologies in the sphere of environmental management and sustainable development, and their application in Central Asian states;
• to enhance the role of the civil society in sustainable development activities in Central Asia;
We are open to the dialogue with various sectors of society, and are prepared to improve the environmental conditions of our region based on collective efforts.
To learn more about CAREC and its structure please click here.
The Executive Director of CAREC is appointed and dismissed upon a decision of the CAREC Board of Governors.
Executive Director reports to the CAREC Board of Governors.
The Executive Director is responsible for the effective, high-quality, transparent management of CAREC, for the overall success, development and image of the organization, provides full leadership over the organization’s programs, projects and resources, oversees the work of CAREC country offices and branches, demonstrates the commitment to the organizational mission, strategy, goals and objectives, as well as to environmental protection in general.
The Executive Director reports the Board of Governors and is responsible for the following:
- Fulfills the requirements of the CAREC Charter, decisions of the Board of Governors and regulatory documents of CAREC;
- Represents CAREC in relations with State institutions and representative bodies of other countries, international and public organizations, courts and other organizations of the state and non-state sectors on issues related to the activities of CAREC within the scope of authority granted by the Board of Governors;
- Supervises the formulation and management of long-term development strategies for CAREC;
- Leads the development and implementation of innovative directions, ideas, programs and projects that are consistent with current trends in sustainable development and contribute to solving of environmental problems in the region;
- Responsible for resource mobilization and building partnerships with Central Asian and other governments, with international organizations, NGOs and the private sector;
- Responsible for advocacy activities of CAREC in the Central Asian governments, among partners and public in order to promote awareness and build capacity in the area of environmental protection;
- Ensures the implementation of current and future work programs;
- On behalf of CAREC, signs international contracts and agreements concluded by CAREC with partners in the region, international organizations and consortia;
- Approves the rules, procedures and other internal documents of CAREC, establishes the organizational structure of CAREC;
- Manages property of CAREC as per CAREC Charter and current legislation of the founding countries;
- Approves the staffing structure, remuneration scheme, appointment, dismissal and transfer of employees, bonuses, personal allowances, takes incentive measures and imposes disciplinary actions;
- Approves work plans and budget of the Head office’s units, country offices and branches of CAREC;
- Regulates other issues related to ongoing CAREC activities of within authority established by the legislation of the constituent countries, the Charter and other internal regulations of the CAREC;
- Provides guidance on the work of country offices and CAREC branches in Central Asia;
- Complies with the CAREC business ethics standards;
- Complies with the rules and regulations of labor protection, safety, industrial sanitation and fire protection;
What we look for
A strong professional with:
• University degree in Ecology, Economics or Management;
• At least 7 years of professional experience in the field of environmental protection and sustainable development;
• Experience in managing an organization or institution, including intergovernmental, international organizations and local NGOs;
• Experience in regional and international projects;
• Good knowledge of the environmental and political situation in Central Asia;
• Fluency in English and Russian languages (spoken and written);
• Advanced user of computer and office software packages (MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and office equipment;
• Scientific degree or academic title is an advantage;
• Knowledge of Central Asian languages is desirable.
Skills and knowledge required for this position
• Strategic thinking and analytical skills;
• Critical thinking and complex problem solving;
• Risk management skills;
• Leadership, ability to manage a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team, motivating, conflict management skills;
• Communication, presentation, high level negotiation and influencing skills, interacting with media;
• Practical knowledge of project/program implementation cycles, monitoring and evaluation skills;
• Creativity and innovation;
• Fundraising and resource mobilization skills, building and maintaining strategic partnerships at all levels.
What we offer
CAREC offers an attractive social package and remuneration, which includes:
• Competitive salary, considering the selected individual's qualifications and experience;
• Rental subsidy;
• Medical insurance for the staff member and his/her primary family members;
• Minimum 24 days of paid annual leave per year (up to 30 days after 4 years of service);
• 5 days of uncertified sick leave per year;
• Paid sick leave up to 20 days per year (at once);
• Paid trip for a non-resident employee of Kazakhstan and his/her primary family members to the country of residence and back.
• Flexible working arrangements.
Nationals of all Central Asian countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan) are eligible to apply to this position.
CAREC is committed to promote inclusive and diverse environment at workplace, so all candidates, regardless of their gender, cultural and ethnic background are welcome to apply.
Interested candidates are required to fill in online application form before March 05, 2019
Documents required for application*:
Copies of diplomas / certificates confirming higher education.
Motivational letter in Russian and English, containing brief information on your professional background, skills and knowledge & reasons for applying for the vacancy (max. 1 page).
Resume in Russian and English.
*Incomplete or incorrectly completed applications will not be given due consideration.**
Before applying, please make sure you are familiarized with and meet all the requirements of the position.
Close relatives of CAREC staff are not eligible for consideration. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s presently employed in CAREC.
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.