FINANCE ASSISTANT, Somali National
DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Area Manager and the Area Office Finance Coordinator supports in day to day routine financial duties, review budget/budget revisions and is the lead focal point for the area Office finance staff and program staff. S/he will provide financial support to DRC and stakeholders as per DRC and donor regulations and procedures.
- Ensure that all financial reports are in accordance with DRC and donor guidelines and submitted on time.
- Prepare support cost plan including salary plans with close coordination with Finance Officer/Coordinator and DRC/DDG AM.
- Processing daily payments within two working days and submitting to DRC/DDG AM for Authorization. This includes prioritization of payments according to their urgency i.e. closing projects.
- Daily accounting (bookkeeping) according to DRC financial handbook
- Ensuring that financial procedures and regulations are fulfilled prior to execution of payments including preparation/initiation of bank transfers based upon the reception of full documentation.
- Ensure all finance documents are stamped paid when check is issued or cash is paid.
- Ensure all finance documents are filed serially and beautifully labelled after every cashbook closure, so that they can be easily accessed.
- Ensure accuracy, correctness and timely submission of all financial documents (including monthly cashbooks) to Finance Officer/coordinator on time.
- Make necessary correction on vouchers or scans as advised/commented by the Finance Officer/Coordinator.
- Receiving financial documents including settlements of advances and instalments from DRC, Suppliers and other stakeholders.
- Update Termination benefit on monthly basis and check if they are in line with X.81 when the FO is away.
- Monitor advances to ensure that all are settled within the approved time limit.
- Maintain proper filing of all financial documentation (vouchers, contracts, tender documents, etc.)
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern
Local Tax management
- Support Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
- Support with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments within your area of support. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents before payments are effected.
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to
- Partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance. If additional support is required coordinate with CO Finance Coordinator.
- Support the Country Finance Team in internal and external audit process.
Education, experience and technical competencies
- Minimum 1-year work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an INGO, LNGO or the commercial sector.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Experience in preparation of Donor budgets for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices. Substantial within carrying out actual Finance process
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines with limited supervision.
- Ability to prepare basic training to Finance/Program staff.
- Diploma or equivalent professional qualification in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in local spoken languages.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: February 2019
Duty station: Dolow
Reporting to: Area Manager with technical supervision by area Finance Officer/Coordinator
Duration: 1-year contract with possibility of extension subject to performance.
Contract: This position is graded as G6 for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 24 January, 2019.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.