MERL and Knowledge Management Senior Manager
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Program Delivery (PDEL) - Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Program Delivery Team, contributes to realizing this purpose by: Forging smart partnerships and treating all people with dignity and respect; Applying organizational policies and regulatory compliance appropriately and consistently; Facilitating team spirit among colleagues and promoting the organization through communications; Influencing decision makers through focused, relevant communications; Continually striving to learn and share knowledge and find small ways to make the workplace more enjoyable for all; Cultivating and harvesting innovation; Contributing to the organization’s ability to think and act strategically at all times; Inspiring and spreading our desired organizational culture across the global enterprise.
The purpose of the REFRESH activity is to conserve the freshwater biodiversity of Lake Malawi
to restore the natural fisheries productivity, which largely underpins the food and nutrition security of the rural and urban populations by targeting the lakeshore districts of Karonga, Rumphi, Likoma, Nkhata Bay, Nkhotakota, Salima, Dedza and Mangochi. Its sub-purposes are a) the targeted Lake Malawi’s aquatic habitats are healthy and well-managed b) the endemic fish populations of targeted parts of Lake Malawi are healthy and self-sustaining and c) the fisheries in the targeted parts of Lake Malawi are managed sustainably by 2024.
Primarily, the REFRESH activity will aim to achieve the following outcomes;
- Fisheries governance and regulatory framework strengthened
- Fisheries ecosystem-based management improved
- Decentralization of fisheries management strengthened
- Commercialization of conservation enterprises to counter unsustainable fishing catalyzed and supported
- CDCS priorities for integration advanced
Please note that the position will be contingent upon award of funding.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) and Knowledge Management (KM) Senior Manager will supervise staff experts and oversee program activities for a USAID flagship biodiversity project related to monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL) and knowledge management.
S/he will be responsible for supporting comprehensive and accurate data collection, analysis, reporting, and knowledge management by both Pact and partner organizations to improve project implementation. S/he will institute M&E best practices for project monitoring, data collection, and quality, and project reporting and learning including Collaborative, Learning, and Adapting processes (CLA). He/she will provide technical support to the design and implementation of monitoring systems and other data systems, including a project-level database that supports policy and programmatic decision-making by project and external stakeholders. S/he will support the training of partners on M&E procedures, roles and responsibilities and will play a key role in data management, data analytics, and knowledge sharing and learning from the project’s data.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning
- Supports training, work-quality, and performance of short and long-term contracted data collection officers.
- Supervises the transcription and translation (where applicable) of qualitative data from the field.
- Provides support to Pact and partner staff on measurement and reporting of qualitative and quantitative monitoring data for key performance indicators.
- Collaborate with MERL manager in Pact Malawi to develop relevant M&E tools, systems, procedures, formats, and dashboards
- Lead the provision of M&E specific technical training.
- Leading role in overseeing data collection, collation, storage, analysis, and reporting, ensuring that data is of high quality and audit worthy in conjunction with MERL Manager in Pact Malawi.
- Responsible for supporting the preparation and review of program reports in collaboration with program staff.
- Maintain accurate information in project database, as well as accurate and timely electronic files.
- Coordinate or lead regular program monitoring visits to project sites.
- Support program implementation team with adaptive management by providing timely information and analysis. Proactively raise concerns/attention about potential opportunities and challenges to allow ‘course correction' throughout life of the project.
- Knowledge of USAID’s ADS 201 and Collaborative, Learning, and Adapting processes (CLA) and experience using data to engage in learning and adaptive management.
- Contribute to routine and ad hoc reports and presentations for USAID, Pact, Malawi authorities, and the international community.
- Liaise with research partners and staff on formative and ongoing studies.
- Assist with electronic data collection including the use of GIS, feature phones, tablets, and other ICT4D systems.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive data and knowledge management system
- Manage research activities and ensure outcomes and lessons learned are integrated in the project and shared with relevant national and international stakeholders)
- Link MERL indicators into dashboards for project management decision making and communication
- Embed Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA) into the project cycle – purposefully implementing, documenting, and sharing the process and outcomes of CLA
- Work closely with the Pact Global KM and Communications team to ensure consistent saving and sharing of key documentation and learning
Master’s Degree in a related area such as social sciences, natural resources, agriculture, fisheries, etc.
Minimum of 10 years of experience in development studies, statistics, data analytics, research methods, social sciences, monitoring and evaluation, project management, knowledge management.
Experience with monitoring, reporting, and verification frameworks/tools.
Knowledge of USAID’s ADS 201 and Collaborative, Learning, and Adapting processes (CLA) and experience using data to engage in learning and adaptive management.
Knowledge and expertise in developing and implementing valid and reliable quantitative and qualitative data collection methods and research designs.
Experience implementing M&E systems under USAID-funded projects, including data collection.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with: Excel, PowerPoint, DHIS2, SPSS, R, and/or STATA.
- Experience using innovative technology for data collection including mobile, GIS, block chain, feature phones, and/or iForm Builder.
- Experience supporting and/or leading on capacity development activities for monitoring, evaluation, research and learning.
- Ability to analyze data and promote and utilize lessons learned for the continuous improvement of program implementation.
Experience presenting in international conferences.
Implementation, maintenance and management of the knowledge and information sharing systems within and outside the project, maintaining and enhance the sources and methods for capturing knowledge
Experience creating and maintaining a data and knowledge management system for a program or project
Experience statistics, and data visualization a plus
Pact provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please apply here at https://careers-pactworld.icims.com/jobs/1129/merl-and-knowledge-managem...