TECHNICAL EXPERT (M/F) • SUSTAINABLE ENERGY PRACTICES IN INDUSTRIES - CAMBODIA
Created in 1976, GERES – Group for the Environment, Renewable Energies and Solidarities - is a non-profit organization, whose actions aim to improve the living conditions of the poorest populations and to support the energy transition, by implementing projects that reduce energy poverty, preserve the environment and limit climate change and its consequences. The association deploys development engineering and specific technical expertise in partnership with communities and local stakeholders. GERES places its priorities in those of the 2030 Agenda and in particular SDGs 7 and 13, on universal access to energy and the fight against climate change, as well as in the Sustainable Energy for All initiative (SE4All). Today, 200 employees lead more than 50 innovative sustainable development projects in Africa, Asia and Europe-Mediterranean.
In Southeast Asia, GERES has 20 years of experience in providing locally adapted, affordable and transferable energy solutions, with a focus on wood and biomass energy, to improve the resilience and the livelihoods of rural communities, empower local stakeholders and contribute to the sustainable management of natural resources.
Context of the position
Since 2016, in Cambodia, GERES works with some key industrial sectors to promote sustainable energy practices, including energy efficiency measures and switch to renewable energy sources. So far, the work of GERES with these industrial sectors has focused on their thermal energy needs, which are mostly met with firewood coming from the forest, thus contributing directly to forest degradation and deforestation. However, an in-depth assessment of a number of sectors, including garment, bricks, ice making, food and beverage and rice milling, and an on-going dialog with relevant stakeholders, prove that the potential to improve the way energy is produced for and consumed by industries in Cambodia is huge, but also highlights some structural obstacles that prevent a wide adoption of appropriate measures.
Since 2014, GERES operates in Myanmar through the implementation of field projects focused on domestic energy access. Building on the expertise developed in Cambodia, and on a strong regional network of industrial stakeholders, GERES is now exploring opportunities to work on the topic of sustainable energy practices in industries in Myanmar as well.
In Morocco, GERES works on energy efficiency projects with industrial manufacturers of domestic ovens and steam boilers for hammams.
In 2018, GERES initiated a collective exercise that led to a new formulation of its strategic framework, with a clear will to focus its interventions around three core work streams (energy demand management, renewable energy development and access to energy), and three cross-cutting approaches (landscape approach, economic development and capacity building and training). The Technical Expert will mostly contribute to the demand management and the renewable energy development work streams.
Under the supervision of the Regional Director, the technical expert leads the development of GERES’s expertise on the specific topic of Sustainable Energy uses in Industries. As the technical focal point on this topic, she/he identifies opportunities, contributes to the design of new interventions, mobilizes partners and resources, and undertakes assignments, both internally and externally.
Based in Cambodia, the technical expert will support the development of GERES activities in the Southeast Asia region, with a focus on Cambodia and Myanmar. She/he might also be involved in activities and field missions in other regions.
1. Contribute to portfolio development in the region and globally
ü Provide technical expertise into the origination, the design and the formulation of new projects.
ü Contribute to proposal writing.
ü Contribute to the elaboration of GERES strategy in Southeast Asia and globally.
2. Undertake assignments, both internally & externally
ü Explore, identify and assess internal and external opportunities for assignments (consultancies, studies, audits…) in their field of expertise.
ü Lead the development of strong service offers.
ü Project management: relationship with the client, timely delivery and quality control of deliverables, proper execution and monitoring of expenditures, team management when relevant.
3. Develop and consolidate GERES’s expertise
ü Act as the technical focal point on her/his topic, for the field teams, the regional office, the headquarters or other GERES teams, as well as for any external solicitation.
ü Identify innovative solutions (technologies, approaches, business models…) appropriate to the context and in line with GERES’s strategic framework.
ü Identify opportunities to development personal and teams’ knowledge and skills (events, training, partnerships…)
ü Consolidate and disseminate internally & externally the expertise acquired through consultancy missions and project implementation.
· Education: Engineering Degree, specialized in energy efficiency / renewables
· Experience: minimum 5 years in relevant positions, with at least 2 years in developing countries, with demonstrated field experience and experience in undertaking consultancy missions.
· Languages, IT: fluent English. Basic IT package + knowledge of technical softwares.
· Thematic skills and knowledge: Detailed knowledge of energy issues in developing countries, in particular related to industrial sectors; understanding of other topics covered by GERES (climate change, landscape approaches, private sector development); understanding of energy efficiency and renewable energy institutional landscapes in developing countries.
· Practical skills: Project/study methodology development and implementation; production of content: reporting, training, recommendation formulation, technical guidelines; project management (operations and finance); technical representation.
· Capabilities: Efficient and rigorous time management; ability to work under pressure and in autonomy; adaptability to changing and working contexts. Able to travel occasionally.
· Desirable qualities: Ease in human relations, to guide colleagues and partners through technical topics, talent to socialize complex issues related to energy practices in industries. Conviction and commitment.
· Position based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia; possible travels to other fields
· Full time position – French expatriate contract (CDDU) – 10 months
· Expatriation allowance: 330 USD
· 26 days annual leaves
· 1 return ticket per year
· Other benefits: retirement, unemployment insurances costs, health insurance, repatriation insurance
· GERES has a General Security Policy (GSP), to ensure security of its teams on the field. The job holder of the position will be covered by the GSP while on the field.