Regional Humanitarian Nutrition Adviser (ESA)
East Africa with up to 30% travel
Fixed term contract for 12 months
Do you want to be part of an organisation that fights for children every single day? We are looking for a committed and experienced nutrition specialist to join us as Regional Humanitarian Nutrition Adviser (ESA), based in East Africa.
In our Humanitarian department, we fight for children every single day. We integrate emergency and development work, through our country programmes. We increase our capacity to meet the assistance and protection needs of children and their families affected by crises. We go the extra mile - and we don’t rest until the work is done.
As the Regional Humanitarian Nutrition Adviser you will be a member of the Regional Technical Team, the Save the Children Emergency Nutrition Working Group (ENWG) and will play an important role in coordinating and working closely with other technical staff in Kenya and SCI Regional Office staff in East and Southern Africa. In addition you will:
- Provide technical oversight to a large and dynamic humanitarian nutrition portfolio in the ESA Region, to support the delivery of quality humanitarian nutrition programs
- Deploy to the field at short notice to set up new humanitarian nutrition programmes, and provide technical and project management support to country level Nutrition Specialists for humanitarian response including advisory visits as needed.
- Provide quality and adaptive Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) tools and support to country programmes to ensure understanding of high quality programming, operations and advocacy in humanitarian nutrition programmes
- Support country programmes and head office in the recruitment of humanitarian nutrition staff and ongoing mentoring to support staff development in humanitarian nutrition settings
- Identify opportunities and progress existing partnerships with external health and nutrition institutes in the region, and UN agencies, to increase humanitarian nutrition capacity in the region
- Represent SC in various technical and nutrition advocacy initiatives and partnerships and lead on specific areas of advocacy and representation directly related to humanitarian nutrition programming
- Liaise with the relevant external regional stakeholders including donors, learning institutes, UN and NGO representatives identifying opportunities, synergies and partnerships for SC’s humanitarian nutrition work.
To be successful you will have significant and progressive experience in the field as well as regional or head office level in the implementation and management of humanitarian nutrition programmes. You should also be nutrition professional with post graduate qualifications in nutrition or a relevant subject. In addition you will have:
- Proven experience in management of humanitarian nutrition programs
- Experience of contingency planning/emergency preparedness planning
- Experience of working with nutrition cluster coordination mechanisms in country and practical understanding of the cluster approach at country, regional and global level
- Experience in team leadership and management with highly developed writing skills
- Strong communication skills at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
If you share our belief in the power of children, join the fight. It takes relentless determination, creativity and a real commitment to real change. Because every child should be able to make their mark on their world, and help to build a better future. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 3rd January 2019
Start date: 20 January 2019 (dependant on international police checks and references).
To apply please visit our website via the link below: