Refugee TANF Program Intern
Background: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading nonsectarian, non-governmental organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and other persons fleeing war, persecution and violent conflict. In the United States, IRC provides assistance to refugees from around the world who have been approved by the U.S. federal government for resettlement. The IRC in Silver Spring serves refugees, asylees and victims of human trafficking who live in southern Maryland.
Scope of work: The Refugee TANF Employment Program (RTEP) is designed to enable Employable Refugees receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) funds to achieve economic self-sufficiency as soon as possible through engagement in work participation activities.
- Work one-on-one with refugees and asylees to assist with resume creation, job application, and job search
- Assist with classroom facilitation and the creation of class room materials for RTEP work force trainings
- Develop resources such as career pathways, apprenticeship guides, vocational trainings, volunteer opportunities and other program related documents
- Perform administrative tasks such as filing, scheduling client meetings, and documenting client interactions
- Accompany clients on educational trips or volunteer opportunities
- Assist families with child care applications and applying for child care as needed
- Complete all other tasks as designated by the Program Lead
- Intern will gain exposure to refugee integration in TANF work participation program
- Intern will learn to communicate effectively with clients across cultures
- Intern will learn to implement new programming in a multi-agency resettlement office
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Strong interest in refugee and asylee resettlement
- Ability to work onsite 2-3 times per week to the Prince George's American Job Center in Largo, Maryland
- Excellent communication and writing skills, including cross-cultural communicative skills and discretion when addressing client issues
- Preference to current students and recent graduates*
Please apply directly online: https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=5752
This position reports to the Employment Specialist.
Note: This is an unpaid internship; school credit may be received depending on your program and institution.
*Applicants applying not enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and outside of 12 months from graduation are still welcome to apply. Applicants will be processed as volunteers.
This position is for the fall semester 2019. Please include your resume, a cover letter, a list of references, and your tentative availability with your application. Please include your availability in your cover letter. Position will remain posted until filled.