Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Work to ensure that monitoring, evaluation and learning systems are consistently integrated and implemented throughout Medair’s programme activities. This involves: supporting programme teams to use M&E systems and making use of innovative technology such as ODK to collect, aggregate and analyse data; integrating beneficiary accountability plans and activities into Medair’s programmes; and playing a key role in ensuring that the reporting needs of key stakeholders are met.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Nutrition, Water and Sanitation, and NFI distributions across fixed and emergency response locations. Medair’s goal is to assist in improving health, nutrition and water and sanitation conditions for vulnerable people in South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with frequent trips to the field sites in the country. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assist in designing and implementing data collection activities such as needs assessments, post distribution monitoring.
- Train relevant projects’ staff on M&E tools, data collection and analysis, and basic surveying and sampling techniques.
- Ensure the collection of good quality data in order to reflect the progress of programming by supervising enumerator teams and data clerks.
- Actively participate in the lessons learned discussions with the field sector advisors, project managers and field teams for improvement of data collection activities and also project design adjustments if necessary.
- Work with field teams to promote principles and practices of beneficiary accountability by ensuring timely reporting of the beneficiary feedback and consolidation before sharing with the AAP focal point.
- Provide analysis of data in a timely manner for internal monitoring and donor reporting.
- Provide, in collaboration with input from the project managers, field advisors and the MEL manager, a comprehensive written report on survey results in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with other team members as well as with other Medair staff so as to uphold a spirit of unity and mutual respect.
- Attend and participate in relevant working groups as Nutrition Information Working Group (NIWG).
- Coordinate the technical aspects of field M&E operations such as obtaining latest population data to enable sampling frame preparation before a survey.
- Actively participate in designing questionnaires for surveys and assessments on ODK digital format and assist with troubleshooting when required.
- Maintain robust records of all collected data to provide a clear and transparent account of performance and take immediate action in areas of poor performance.
- Collaborate with the project managers, field and GSO advisors during planning and preparation for Household Surveys (Baseline, follow up/mid-term, end of project).
- Ensure smooth and timely flow of information from survey preparations, implementation, results sharing and report writing.
- Design enumerator training material for implementing household and other surveys as required.
- Train project field team members on M&E and survey methodologies such as LQAS and cluster sampling as part of staff capacity building.
- Responsible for advising and supervising the enumerators, reviewing the completed questionnaires, submission to the ODK server and first descriptive line analysis.
- Oversee data entry process by designing data entry templates (when necessary) and supervise data clerk(s) during data entry.
- Analyse, present data as well as communicate survey/ assessment findings with field teams.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in epidemiology/public health, statistics or a related field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 1 year of experience managing a humanitarian M&E system including supervising household surveys.
- 1 year of experience in data analysis and communication including report writing.
- Microsoft Office— Demonstrated proficiency in using Excel & SPSS.
- Able to use and programme ODK derived products.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation standards and survey methodology.
- Able to establish and maintain systems to measure / compile / analyse data for project management.
- Ability to communicate monitoring and evaluation principles and to train others.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Initiative taker, able to plan and organise own workload.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.