Title: Bridge Engineer
Project: Project for Improvement of Access in the South-East Area of Kabul City
Duty Station: Kabul, Afghanistan
Section/Unit: AFOC, Afghanistan
Contract/Level: Individual Contractor Agreement – Local Specialist, Level 10
Duration: On going
Supervisor: Project Manager
1. General Background
The Project for Improvement of Access in the South-East Area of Kabul City-JICA VI – funded by the Government of Japan (GoJ) through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) - includes (i) the construction and widening of Maslakh Road from Puli Mahmood Khan to Abdul Haq Roundabout, (ii) the construction of Abdul Haq roundabout and, (iii) the construction of a new Makroyan Bridge over the Kabul River. The Program is aimed at removing the bottleneck for traffic from the city center to Jalalabad Road and linking southwest Kabul and east Kabul. The Project will result in facilitating smooth traffic between the southwest and east of Kabul, easing traffic congestion in the city, thereby enhancing economic activities and contributing to the economic development of Kabul through improved physical access to services.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Project Manager, and in close coordination with the Senior Road Engineer, QA/QC Engineer, Surveyor and other staff, the Bridge Engineer will provide his/her technical expertise to the project by contributing to ensure the Bridge is designed and constructed in accordance with the national and international policies, guidelines and specifications. The Bridge Engineer will review the design documents, drawings, specifications and work methodologies and will supervise the contractor’s construction activities to ensure that Project is within time, budget and to the required standard of quality as per the Project Quality Strategy and Quality Control Plan.
Specific responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
· Establish a procedure to develop standard documentation for the bridge works under construction;
· Review the existing standard documentation for the construction of new Makroyan Bridge in Kabul City and propose any improvements deemed necessary;
· Make any necessary changes in the design drawings as per the site conditions;
· Review the bills of quantity as per the final design drawings and calculate the final quantities;
· In collaboration with the Contractor, check and verify the suitability of bridge locations recommended by the design team;
· Verification and checking of setting outs as per the Construction drawings for the start of the construction of new structure;
· Review and verify the proposed design changes submitted by the design team;
· Review and verify the Contractor’s submitted method statements for increased safety of foundation design and provide technical inputs as per project technical specification standards and guidelines;
· Review the Contractor’s QA/QC Plan and inspection testing plan (ITP) to ensure sampling, testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with construction drawings and technical specifications;
· Conduct quality assurance for the bridge under construction;
· Supervise on-site works carried out by the Contractor closely on a day to day basis to ensure the quality of the works is monitored and controlled as per specification requirements;
· In collaboration with the Surveyor, advise on appropriate location for the bridge construction;
· Manage and coordinate the fabrication process, including launching and placing, in conjunction with the Contractor;
· Monitor the construction of the bridge foundations. Ensure QA/QC Engineers are undertaking testing of safe bearing pressures;
· Review QA/QC site visit and materials testing reports to ensure sampling, testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with design specifications;
· Provide technical advice and assistance to the Contractor to ensure that quality materials are used;
· Provide technical advice and on-the-job training to Kabul Municipality Engineers and the Contractor staff in bridge design and construction techniques including good practices and troubleshooting methods;
· Prepare and submit professionally progress reports to the Project Manager at intervals agreed upon;
· Ensure safety and health of everyone involved in the project and general public by identifying risks and threats, planning, implementing and maintaining internationally acceptable safety standards in all aspects, at all stages of the project;
· Maintain good relations with all stakeholders and local authorities;
· Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of various project reports when necessary.
· Provide expert advice to all stakeholders including the Contractor, Project Manager, project staff, clients and donor on Bridge Construction related works when required;
· Review and endorse Interim Payment Certificate for the works submitted by the Contractor;
· Review and verify the contractors’ temporary works design and check that Form work and the placing of steel reinforcements is correctly in place;
· Have a good understanding and knowledge of project Design Standards, Construction Technical Specifications, preambles to BOQ (method of measurements), General and Particular Conditions of Contract (FIDIC);
· Ensure that AFOC/UNOPS internal policies and procedures are followed;
· Perform any other duty in line with the ToR as requested by the Project Manager;
3. Qualifications and Experience
· A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or similar field from a recognized University.
· A Master’s Degree is preferred.
B. Work Experience
· Minimum 4 years’ experience in the construction of bridges and road related structures, or a minimum of 2 years’ experience with a Master’s Degree.
· Ability to produce drawings and design documentation using AutoCAD or similar software.
· Proficient in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and experience in handling web-based management systems.
· Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with Government authorities and community organizations.
· Previous work experience with the UNOPS is preferred.
· Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations preferred.
· Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari is required.
D. Key Competencies
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
· High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and new work assignments.
· Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate with various support service units, work on tight deadlines, and handle multiple concurrent activities.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
· Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), including ability to present sensitive issues/positions and to write reports and technical decisions quantitatively justified.
· Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment.
· Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people.
· Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge.
· Ability to build and promote effective teams and enable competence by sharing knowledge.
· Ability to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.