Behavior Change Communication Advisor
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Assignment Title: Behavior Change Communication Advisor
Technical Point of Contact: Director, Global Health Practice
Type: Short-Term Consultancy
Overview: IBTCI is currently seeking a Behavior Change Communication Advisor for the UK Department for International Development (UK DfID)’s Third-Party Validation, Monitoring and Research Peer Review of the Delivering Accelerated Family Planning in Pakistan (DAFPAK) Programme. DAFPAK will increase access and uptake of Family Planning (FP) services by those in underserved groups by supporting: (i) improved acceptability of Family Planning, (ii) improved access to Family Planning, and (iii) improved policy and coordination for Family Planning. This position would be on a part-time basis, with a period of performance from February 2019 to February 2022. Please note that this position is contingent upon contract award.
Using your technical and subject matter skills related to Behavior Change Communication (BCC), perform advisory and M&E tasks. Tasks could include, but not be limited to:
Scope of Work:
· Peer review implementing partner BCC formative research design, output, and communication plans for wider dissemination of this research, including the assessment of appropriateness in the Family Planning in Pakistan context.
· Review project results for validation from BCC implementing partners (outputs, outcomes, milestones, key performance indicators).
· Conduct extrapolation and analysis of outcome results from both BCC implementing partner documentation and proxy indicators from secondary data sets.
· Participate in technical writing of validation and monitoring reports, as it relates to BCC implementing partners.
· Serve in the above consultant capacity to support the IBTCI Global Health technical practice.
· This position does not authorize/require the consultant to represent IBTCI to the client.
· This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product.
· Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong understanding of issues surrounding family planning in Pakistan, particularly as it relates to the critical social, cultural, and behavioral factors surrounding behavior change in this sector.
· Familiarity with DfID monitoring and evaluation policies and procedures.
· Proven experience in an advisory role relating to behavior change interventions and research.
· Experience in the creation, implementation and dissemination of BCC projects in Family Planning.
· Family Planning subject matter expert.
· Previous professional experience in Pakistan; Local candidates are preferred.
· At least 7 years of experience in developing, researching and/or implementing behavior change and communication strategies for family planning, ideally in Pakistan or neighboring countries.
· At least 5 years of monitoring or evaluation experience for donor-funded international development projects, with demonstrated experience working on DFID projects in South Asia highly preferred.
· Familiarity with the barriers and enabling environments for family planning interventions in Muslim-majority countries.
· Previous experience leading evaluation teams in data collection, analysis of key findings, development of substantive and evidence-based conclusions and action-oriented and practical recommendations.
· Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing both in English and Urdu.
Education: Master’s Degree in Economics, Public Health, Psychology, or a related social science field is required.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Travel: Travel within Pakistan is required.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.