NATIONAL POST: SERVICE CONTRACT: Programme Associate, Islamabad, Pakistan Country Office, SB3
The Programme Associate is instrumental in facilitating programme/project implementation using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems and ensuring compliance with established procedures.
You maintain collaborative relationships with all programme and project staff.
You will report directly to the International Humanitarian Coordinator.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In the face of challenges resulting from the delay in reducing fertility in Pakistan, including gaps in fulfilment of women’s reproductive rights, the need for significant expansion of infrastructure and services to serve a larger population, the difficulty in achieving education goals with the growth of its school-aged population and a less favorable age structure for economic development, UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need principled and ethical staff, who embody human rights norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You will be responsible for supporting the design, planning and management of UNFPA’s country programme by providing and managing data inputs, providing logistical support, monitoring project implementation and following up on recommendations.
You will facilitate the application of established systems and procedures and assists in the creation of substantive knowledge by compiling, synthesizing and analyzing information relevant to sexual and reproductive health, population and development, and gender issues.
You will be a member of the Programme Management Unit which will support the Deputy Representative in the management and oversight of the country programme.
You would be responsible for:
A. Programme design and planning support
• Participate in the identification and formulation of the country programme and component projects, by compiling and analyzing information in the subject areas of UNFPA assistance to the Government, draft project documents and work plans and prepare tables and statistical data.
• Evaluate programme activities, establishing and implementing mechanisms to systematically assess the achievement of results, conducting field visits, participating in review meetings and evaluation missions and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports. Analyse basic factors affecting the achievement of results, recommends corrective actions and follows up on recommendations.
• Contribute to the creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the Country Office and drafting relevant materials for dissemination
B. Programme management support
• Guide routine implementation of assigned workplans, coordinating delivery of inputs, ensuring participation of national counterparts in training activities and study tours;
• Provide logistical support to workplans by coordinating review meetings and other project related workshops and events. Train and guide programme personnel and staff on national execution and programme policies and procedures.
• Perform quality assurance of workplans in the Global Programming System.
• Monitor various organizational dashboards and take necessary actions to ensure that the Country Office complies with the organizational requirements and standards.
• Conduct orientation for the Country Office staff and implementing partners on the Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer and participate in spot-checks of implementing partners. Highlight spot check findings to the Country Office management.
• Review programme budget utilization regularly and prepare analytical summaries for the management, recommending and ensuring follow-up actions.
• Review all programme-related documents for quality assurance before review and approval by the management.
C. Advocacy and Resource Mobilization
• Support the advocacy and resource mobilization strategy of the Country Office by compiling and synthesizing relevant background material for use in discussions and public events. Establish and maintain network of donor and public information contacts and provides assistance in organizing and conducting donor meetings and public information events.
• Organize regular donor and programme meetings, with subsequent follow-up actions.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
First level university degree or higher in Social Sciences, Business Administration, or related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
• At least 6 years of relevant experience in results-based programming, monitoring and reporting;
• Knowledge and application of corporate policies and procedures, systems and tools;
• Knowledge of populations issues;
• Knowledge of corporate etiquette and ability to manage information;
• Excellent minute-taking and writing skills;
• Proficiency in current office software applications.
Fluency in English and Urdu are required, knowledge of local languages is an asset.
• Exemplifying integrity,
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
• Embracing cultural diversity,
• Embracing change
• Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda,
• Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships,
• Delivering results-based programme,
• Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
• Achieving results,
• Being accountable,
• Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
• Thinking analytically and strategically,
• Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
• Communicating for impact
All applicants should apply ONLY on the link below. Please note the position is OPEN TO NATIONALS OF PAKISTAN ONLY
Deadline for applications is 15 November 2018.
LINK TO APPLY: