NATIONAL POST: Programme Specialist, Gender, Islamabad, Pakistan Country Office, NOD
The Gender Specialist is responsible for providing overall strategic guidance and technical leadership in the planning, conceptualization, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of gender and gender-based violence (GBV) related initiatives in development and emergency settings.
You will lead the Country Office Gender Unit and ensure the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of gender and GBV.
You will report directly to the UNFPA Deputy Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In the face of developmental challenges in Pakistan, including the large spectre of gender inequality encompassing women’s empowerment, economic dimensions and gaps in fulfilment of women’s reproductive rights, UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need principled and ethical staff, who embody human rights norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In a highly complex operating environment, you will play a key role in promoting partnership and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies and civil society in support of advancing gender equality and addressing GBV. You must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to advance the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development.
You will oversee the work of the Gender Unit as well as consultants, advisors, and experts, and establish and maintain collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues.
You would be responsible for:
A. Gender/GBV programme formulation and management
• Lead the formulation and delivery of the gender/GBV component of the country programme in line with national priorities and according to UNFPA programme policies and procedures; Oversee preparation and implementation of subsequent workplans by national and sub-national partners.
• Provide leadership in mainstreaming gender and GBV in the other components of UNFPA’s country programme.
• Coordinate programme baseline and evaluation studies, and other relevant research undertakings for the gender/GBV component.
• Prepare donor reports, project documents and concept notes.
B. Gender/GBV Coordination and Partnership
• Represent UNFPA in gender and GBV coordination platforms and technical task forces, providing leadership in engaging national mechanisms to facilitate systematic integration of gender and GBV in government plans, programs and policies.
• Facilitate inter-agency, multi-sectoral GBV coordination groups at national and sub-national levels.
• Lead efforts to develop a multi-sectoral and inter-agency referral and reporting mechanisms, information sharing, coordination tools, as well as monitoring and evaluation endeavours as part and parcel of the broader GBV response.
• Provide strategic guidance and technical support to partners in the development of GBV Referral System.
• Facilitate and coordinate efforts to develop technical proposals for resource mobilization and organize site visits and prepare briefing notes for existing and potential donors on the gender and GBV component of the country programme.
• Promote the inclusion of GBV into Emergency Response Fund, Central Emergency Response Fund and other appeal processes and documents.
• Provide strategic support to national and sub-national disaster management organizations and other relevant government agencies in the development and roll out of standard operating procedures and guidelines on incorporating gender and GBV in disaster preparedness, response and early recovery efforts.
• Participate in the United Nations Common Country Assessment and Development Assistance Framework exercises as part of the broader UN Reform initiatives
C. Advocacy and Resource Mobilization
• Facilitate advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of the Country Office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
• Create and deliver effective evidence-based advocacy messages to advance gender equality and address GBV taking into consideration political and cultural sensitivities.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in Gender Studies, Law, Social Work or any other relevant field of study.
Knowledge and Experience:
• At least 7 years of experience, preferably in programme/project management in the public or private sector;
• Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, precision and accuracy;
• Demonstrated ability to refine programme design and to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities;
• Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results;
• Extensive knowledge of Pakistan’s socio-cultural issues, legal provisions, and systems of administration;
• Experience in conducting GBV-related research is preferable;
• Knowledge of rights-centered approaches and gender mainstreaming;
• Excellent writing, communication presentation and computer skills;
• Strong interest in development work, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund and dedication to the principles of the United Nations;
• Knowledge of the UN system would be an advantage;
• Experience in a humanitarian or crisis context is an asset.
Fluency in English and Urdu are required, knowledge of local languages is an asset.
All applicants should apply ONLY on the link below. Please note the vacancy is OPEN TO NATIONALS OF PAKISTAN ONLY.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 15 NOVEMBER 2018 AT 5PM PAKISTAN TIME