Resilience Program Manager (Somalia- Mogadishu)
Action Against Hunger has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia Since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security and the livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
This post aims to identify and implement nutrition sensitive resilient activities, which are appropriate and comprehensive, in conformity with overarching strategy, and the standards set internationally, by AAH and by national policies.
The Positions and Responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for suitable candidates to fill the position of Resilience Program Manager (PM). The position will be based in Mogadishu, Somalia. The Program Manager reports hierarchically & technically to the Deputy Country Director, Somalia
The Resilience Program Manager ‘s core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
Mission 1: Contribute to deliberations on nutrition sensitive strategy and the positioning of the resilience
- Ongoing, systematic and thorough analysis of the Community Action Planning in respect of resilience programs and of the context of intervention in his/her field of activity
- Internal dissemination of information gathered and its analysis to the Field Coordinator and the HoD
- Taking part in the determination of strategy in his/her area of activity and sectoral strategy at national level
- Setting up projects consistent with the Charter, the strategic framework, the policies of resilience and other AAH sectors, national strategic and key international documents in the sector.
- Ensuring that teams have a clear understanding of these documents
- Participating, as and when necessary, in the development of strategic thematic areas of intervention for Action Against Hunger in collaboration with local government needs, policies and priorities.
- Promoting transversal integration of the resilience activities with other sectors, in collaboration with the Field Coordinator
- Proper follow up on the context and recommend actions/solutions according to the needs of vulnerable population
- Strategies the use of appropriate techniques and materials for creating awareness regarding the underlying causes of malnutrition.
- Support and validate the implementation guide for relevant programs implemented in the field including assessment, surveys, implementation etc
- Follow up in the implementation of Area based Analysis, LinkNCA and PFIMs with field teams
- Taking cognizance of transversal problems associated with resilience initiatives (HIV, Gender issues, Disaster Management, Environment, disability, etc.)
Mission 2: Identify needs and contribute to resilience programme elaboration
- Identifying community needs in the field of resilience building and in his/her area of activity, this to include the submission of reports pertaining to such matters
- Including, where appropriate, target populations and local actors in the identification of needs and ways of responding to them
- Participation in defining resilience activities
- Contributing to the writing of the resilience project proposals
Mission 3: Set up, implement and report on resilience projects
- Setting up of the resilience program(s) taking into account the logical framework of the program(s), the budget, and the logistical and administrative processes of AAH
- The quality of the programs established in conformity with the technical and project management standards of AAH
- Familiarizing him/herself thoroughly with his/her projects, the issues involved, the logical framework and indicators ; retaining printed copies of all funding agency contractual documents ; sharing all such information with his/her teams
- Identifying the technical constraints associated with the implementation of the projects
Proposing innovative technical solutions in response to such constraints
The implementation of technical recommendations concerning his/her project (Head of Department, Technical Advisor at Headquarters, Experts, Evaluators )
Supervising his/her programs, by means of internal APR monitoring tools, regular presence in the field, maintenance of a timeline, monthly review of the budget
Maintaining the profile of both the funding agency and AAH on the project sites
Preparing in time to meet deadlines of external and internal reports relating to his/her projects
Identifying and implementing safety measures for both the teams and the wider population (building sites, community based sites)
Mission 4: Contribute to the quality, accountability and impact measurement process of his/her program
- Promoting and taking part in the evaluation of the impact of his/her project (external assessment)
- Promoting and contributing to learning and improvement of quality (internal evaluation and joint visits)
- Implementing complaints procedures for ethical and transparency reasons, particularly in respect of the beneficiary populations
- Ensuring that a double KAP survey is put in place (baseline/final)
Mission 5 : Participate in the coordination, representation and partnerships of AAH in his/her area of intervention
- Coordination of activities with other sectors and departments of AAH in order to ensure rational use of resources and optimum integration
- Participation in visits by funding bodies whenever requested by the Country Director or the Field Coordinator
- Representing AAH and ensuring coordination with partners, the authorities, agencies of the United Nations and NGOs in his/her sector, in collaboration with the Field Coordinator
- Contributing to the process of selecting partners, formalizing partnerships and enhancing their capabilities (Local NGOs, international NGOs, national authorities, private agencies etc)
- Reinforcing the resilience capabilities of partners
- Participate in Technical Working Groups of the consortium
Mission 6 : Supervise and manage the team
- Determining size and recruitment of his/her team
- Team management (leadership, monitoring, motivation)
- Evaluation of team members
- Staff development of team members
- Support the field staff in the implementation of programs
Mission 7: Contributing to capitalization and technical development in his/her sector
- Capitalization of program-related data and documentation of the innovations achieved
- Dissemination of the technical and operational expertise acquired in the course of the program
- Contributing to the upward transmission of data from the ground the better to inform AAH communications
Who we are looking for:
- The person should have Master and/or Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, public health, climate change, Agriculture Sciences or a related field with professional experience of minimum 5 years in resilience programs.
- Knowledge & experience of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) theory and practice of Resilience and Resilience programming
- Experience working in fast paced humanitarian programming in Somalia
- Good facilitation, analytical, planning and report writing skills; demonstrate good planning, organizational and research / analytical skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work within a team
- Excellent oral and written English and Somali language skills
- Ability to use standard computing, packages (word, excel, outlook, power point, internet etc.)
- Good knowledge and experience in management.
- Self-starter, demonstrating knowledge of nutrition sensitive resilience programs
- Flexibility in a non-hierarchical environment.
- Multi-tasker with the proven ability to organize and prioritize competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied experiences and work styles, follow procedures, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
email@example.com not later than 22nd November 2019 clearly indicating the position on the subject line. e.g Resilience Program Manager (PM).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interviews.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.