The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic, motivated and results-oriented Potato Scientist to lead the potato research of CIP in collaboration with its partners in Asian countries. The scientist will be a team member of the Asia Potato Program. He/she will lead the screening of CIP elite clones, support national programs in variety release and improvements in national seed systems, and conduct research on sustainable climate smart potato cultivation practices and the intensification and diversification of cropping systems with potato to increase overall system productivity and food security of small-scale farming households.
- Lead a team of scientists and conduct research with partners in varietal selection, seed systems, sustainable climate smart potato cultivation practices, integrated pest and on-farm post-harvest management.
- Provide intellectual leadership for the design and implementation of operational research to determine opportunities and constraints for agricultural innovations.
- Provide quality control of work plans and establish flexible and accountable processes for timely planning and delivery of research outputs and outcomes, and reporting.
- Publish and communicate research results through high impact scientific journals, participation in scientific conferences, and using social media and other outlets.
- Develop concept notes and proposals for strategic research to build and maintain a good portfolio of bilateral funded projects and activities.
Establish and maintain good communication links with international and state government partners to ensure effective and integrated implementation of research activities. Build and manage a productive partnership with relevant CGIAR centers.What are we looking for?
PhD degree in Agricultural Sciences or related disciplines.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in potato research.
- Excellent knowledge of potato in most of the relevant areas (variety assessments, seed systems, agronomy, plant protection, and post-harvest management).
- Relevant publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience in experimental design, and field experimentation; excellent statistical, computer and data management skills.
- Experience in project management and administration.
- Strong communication and networking skills; interest and demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; knowledge of other Asian languages would be an asset.
- Strong team player, self-motivated, goal-oriented and committed to shared goals.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global leader in research and development in potato and other root and tuber crops with a strong track-record in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- CIP is a recent World Food Prize Winner, and CIP has been recently awarded the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global network of 15 international research centers supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
- Great career opportunity in an international organization.
- Salary is internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
Visit the following link: http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with three references. Screening of applications will begin on September 7th, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.