Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Strengthening
ICAP is seeking qualified and experienced applicants for the role of Senior Technical Advisor for Laboratory Strengthening to provide technical assistance to strengthen laboratory systems to ensure improved surveillance, diagnosis, treatment and disease monitoring for HIV. The Senior Technical Advisor will closely collaborate with National Health Laboratory and Ministry of Health and Sports in increasing institutional capacity of laboratory system for development a sustainable response to HIV epidemic.
Project Title: HIV Technical Assistance in Burma under the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
Project Description: The purpose of this opportunity is to contribute towards the achievement of HIV epidemic control and reduced morbidity and mortality due to HIV/AIDS and associated co-infections in Myanmar/Burma by providing technical assistance on HIV prevention, care and treatment, laboratory strengthening and surveillance, with a focus on key populations and people living with HIV, and their sexual partners.
· Provide high-quality technical assistance to improve the availability, use, and quality of diagnostics and implement quality laboratory systems required to facilitate the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of HIV
· Support the development and/or refinement and implementation of laboratory-related policies, strategic plans, guidelines, manuals, standard operating procedures (SOPs), training materials, quality management systems, referral testing systems, and data management systems, to strengthen and enhance laboratory systems infrastructure and capacity
· Provide oversight and TA in strengthening laboratory systems, and viral load scale up activities
· Provide the laboratory related support required for capacity building for the Ministry of Health and Sports (MOHS) to maintain and strengthen the HIV surveillance system
· Support the National Health Laboratory (NHL) to implement quality assurance programs for HIV services, including diagnosis of HIV and Viral Load testing
· Support skill building of in-country laboratory personnel to manage and lead data collection and analysis, including training on serologic, immunologic and molecular tests for HIV, as well as testing for comorbidities
· Develop and participate in designing innovative approaches/strategies for delivering needs-based capacity building, mentorship, and training-of-trainers programs for laboratory staff in Myanmar/Burma
· Support the use of emerging and appropriate technology for laboratory activities
· Work closely with Country Director to develop project work plans, monitor progress towards program objectives and timelines, including regular reporting to and communication with CDC and ICAP in New York
· Represent ICAP in technical working groups and partner meetings in country and make presentations at professional meetings and conferences as requested by the Country Director
Advanced degree (MS, MD, PhD, MBBS) in laboratory sciences, microbiology, or related relevant scientific field required.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Minimum ten (10) years of experience in laboratory services and laboratory management, specifically focused on HIV, HIV-related field, or virology.
· Demonstrated technical expertise in laboratory management, quality assurance, quality control, biosafety, document development and specimen management related to HIV and use of electronic information systems within a laboratory context
· Demonstrated experience in implementing laboratory surveillance activities
· Proven expertise in developing and implementing national laboratory policies, strategic plans and budgets
· Proven ability to effectively train and build capacity of local/country partners
· Demonstrated skills in supervising and mentoring laboratory professionals
· Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English
· Demonstrated experience with health care programs in resource-constrained settings
· Familiarity with and experience in implementing comprehensive local and national laboratory systems and services, including quality assurance and accreditation systems, including the ISO accreditation standards and accreditation process
· Knowledge of and experience in laboratory capacity building, monitoring and supervision
Periodic travel throughout the country to support project planning and implementation.
Please combine your CV and cover letter into a single document, and save as “1905_Yourlastname.” Send by email with subject title, “1905 Senior Technical Advisor Laboratory Strengthening” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notice: This position’s availability is contingent upon award to ICAP.
This job posting summarizes the principal duties and responsibilities of this position, and is in no way a contract of employment. Actual scope of tasks will be determined by Management, who reserve the right revise and edit this document at any point.