Nutrition Manager - Angola
The Nutrition manager will support JAM ANGOLA in developing and managing the Community-Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) approach and Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices in the community. She/he will be involved in a variety of quality management, supervision, coordination, and monitoring activities to support capacity building of local CMAM teams. These include provision of appropriate and targeted supervision, training and technical support; contributing to monitoring and reporting on project progress; liaising with community leaders and health officials as requested; and contributing to supervision designs and implementation. Knowledge of Community Management of Acute Malnutrition, Infant and Young Child Feeding practices, maternal nutrition support, and exclusive breastfeeding, are highly desirable for this position.
Primary health care with integrated nutrition designed to improve quality and access to essential health and nutrition services at the community and facility level targeting pregnant and lactating mothers and children in the 1st 1000 days within catchment areas.
Community-Based Management of Acute Malnutrition:
● Support the local government health system implementation of CMAM and IYCF activities in the programme area according to international best practice guidelines
● Provide ongoing technical support to nutrition staff to implement high-quality services, through regular contact with individual staff, provision of training, job aids and guidelines in line with national and international guidelines.
● Continuously monitor nutrition activities and outputs, providing regular feedback for nutrition staff.
● Establish relationship of respect and trust with malnutrition centres/nutrition facilities and in close liaison with communities and local authorities
● Promote the integration of nutrition services with PHC facilities and community health programs
● Establish and support a referral system between CMAM programme and other health care providers
● Establish and strengthen community coping mechanisms focusing on life skill development through mother-to-mother support networks
● Help integrate beneficiary participation in project design and implementation
● Contribute to the development of innovative ideas in health, nutrition and livelihood programme approaches
● Identify gaps in skills and knowledge among nutrition staff
● Developing a plan for CMAM, IYCF, life skills training.
● Set up and conduct trainings and refresher trainings on priority topics
● Coordinate with counterparts to build capacity of local partners in developing CMAM knowledge and skill
● Establish and share routine CMAM supervision plan with health and nutrition team, keeping records of staff supervision, progress and actions taken
● Support CMAM staff to manage and prioritize routine activities.
● Review referrals between nutrition programme and primary health care both at facility and community level
● Contribute to the development of nutrition stock buffer and reorder points for all supported locations, and liaise with logistics staff to support implementation of organizational stock management system
Assessments, Monitoring, and Evaluation
● Contribute to designing and translating nutrition supervision and implementation materials
● Weekly review of data submitted and compare to project targets to ensure projects stay on schedule
● Implement M&E plan of nutrition projects
● Monthly review of all nutrition screening data, including through Community Health programme
● Provide monthly nutrition report for health and nutrition team
Nutritionist, or nurse with an educational background in nutrition and qualification in Public Health
Must have 5-years post-qualification professional experience, at least one year experience with CMAM programme in humanitarian context and at least one year experience managing projects.
Excellent English (oral and written), Portuguese (oral and written)
Competent with Microsoft Office programs, in particular Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, Competency in data analysis using packages such SPSS, EPI Info and related statistical softwares.
Self-motivated, Interest in serving the poor and the community, willing to comply with necessary confidential requirements associated with the role, takes feedback well, team-player with good interpersonal skills.
Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff, diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues, experience of working in a multicultural team, capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner
Ability to manage project implementation, Good numerical, report writing and administration skills, problem solving ability, advanced planning, assessment. Experience in the planning and implementation of assessments and surveys
Management and Leadership
Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks, able to take the initiative in project decisions, bale to enforce procedures, able to consult and lead by example, good understanding of humanitarian work, able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate
To Apply send your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org