Education in Emergencies specialist
Background and Role Purpose
Plan International Norway is hiring an Education in Emergencies (EiE) Specialist to provide technical support to Plan International’s country offices responding to medium and large-scale emergencies.
The post holder will be deployed to Country Offices to provide technical support in Education programmes during humanitarian crises. The deployed time is estimated to 60 % of the position.
The specialist will enable Plan to respond timely and with high quality during assessments and implementation of emergency programmes. Furthermore, the post holder will contribute to the overall development of an improved emergency response capacity in Plan International. An important part of the position is supporting the country offices in proposal writing for local and international fundraising.
The Deployable EiE Specialist provides technical support to the Nordic DRM Team when not on deployment. Main support will be proposal writing and reporting.
Role, Tasks and Responsibilities
Coordination and Resource Mobilization
- Actively contribute to EiE Coordination Mechanisms in country. Where required, take a co-leadership role in the Education Cluster or the Education Sector Working Group.
- Establish/maintain new/existing relationships with key donors.
- Support Plan’s country offices to build a diversified portfolio of funding for EiE. Develop quality proposals in response to identified opportunities at CO level and for the Nordic CDRM Team.
Assessment and Program Design
- Ensure all work has a strong gender and child marriage focus in line with Plan International’s Global Strategy.
- Lead education needs assessments in coordination with Plan’s other programmatic areas and country-based EiE Working Groups.
- Provide technical assistance to the Nordic DRM Team, in accordance with the Nordic DRM agreement.
- Ensure that all EiE interventions are linked in to longer term programming and the prevention of child, early and forced marriage.
- While deployed, support Plan country offices to ensure programmes are implementing according to Plan education framework.
- While deployed, train and capacity build relevant staff.
- Through cooperation, support integrated programming within the following: education, ECCD, child protection.
- Contribute to the alignment of Plan International’s Education in Emergencies work with key cross cutting priorities (for example girls, child marriage and inclusion).
- Ensure that EiE interventions are aligned with the Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies Minimum Standards (INEE MS) and other existing global guidelines and tools for EiE.
- Identify EiE program supply needs and coordinate with the logistics team to ensure timely procurement and delivery.
Monitoring and Evaluation, Reporting and Accountability
- Document key learning from the EiE responses.
- Produce timely reports on EiE projects in compliance with internal procedures and donor requirements.
- Report according to M & E framework.
- Contributing to the establishment of accountability activities for education, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered throughout all phases of the response.
Specific support to the Nordic DRM Team
- Represent National Offices at relevant internal and external meetings, including expert panels, seminars and external events.
- Quality assurance of ongoing projects through providing guidelines and tools to program managers on how to quality assure the technical side of projects.
- Work with IH/Global Networks in their technical areas to represent the Nordic DRM Team and develop the programming in their respective technical area.
- Capacity building of Nordic DRM staff in their technical area as requested by the individual NO.
- Provide input for advocacy and policy work in their technical area in the Nordic Countries to position Plan International.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Plan International Norway Program Director
- Plan International Nordic DRM Team
- Global EiE lead at International Headquarters (based in Oslo)
Internal and external cooperation
The post holder will work closely with:
- The Nordic DRM Team and the DRM Team at International Headquarters (IH) (ie. Head of Emergency Preparedness and Response; Child protection, Nutrition, Emergency Response Managers)
- NO and Global Technical Advisors (ie. Education, ECCD, CP)
- Regional DRM team members
- Communications teams (at Nordic NO level and IH)
- · Research, Policy and Advocacy teams (at Nordic NO level and IH)
- Key external stakeholders and partners
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- University Degree or equivalent in education or related fields
- Proven record in implementing education progammes, preferably in emergency context, min one year field experience
- Experience in project cycle management
- Good knowledge of and experience in INEE Minimum Standards and with the Education Cluster
- Experience in program design and proposal development (concept notes)
- Proven ability to secure funding from public and private funding streams. Proven skills in report/proposal writing
- Experience of conducting education needs assessments, preferably in emergency context
- Proven ability to offer technical support
- Experience of capacity building on education
- Experience of designing and delivering training
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Experience of working on child marriage programs
- Proficiency in French and/or a Scandinavian language, written and spoken
- An existing network with other organisations involved in this field
Plan international Values
- We are open and accountable
- We strive for lasting impact
- We work well together
- We are inclusive and empowering
- Extensive travel, sometimes to hazardous environments and at short notice.
- Periods of intense work which will require extended working hours.
- Prepared to live and work in insecure environments.
Level of contact with children
High level: Frequent interaction with children
If the Deployable EiE Specialist is not able to provide the necessary support to the Nordic DRM Team because of deployments, the Global lead for EiE at IH will support the Nordic Team as needed.
Application may be e.mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org