ERT WASH Manager
Provide leadership for Emergency Response Team (ERT) field sites and staff, including planning and conducting WASH assessments and interventions, creating work plans for emergency responses, ensuring quality implementation of WASH activities, line managing junior members of the ERT WASH team, and acting as team leader at ERT field sites.
The goal of the WASH ERT is to reduce morbidity and mortality among populations affected by acute emergencies through the provision of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion services. The Medair ERT works across all 28 states of South Sudan in response to acute emergencies: displacement due to conflict or disasters, returnee and refugee influxes, disease outbreaks and in emergency level malnutrition. The ERT has teams across four sectors – Health, Nutrition, Non-Food Items (NFIs) / Emergency Shelter and WASH, with teams working together in field sites. Multiple emergency response sites are active at any given time. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design and Oversight
- Develop and manage work plans for field activities – regularly updating work plans and objectives to meet changing needs and gaps. Help determine budget and timelines for activities.
- Oversee the technical design and implementation of the projects – including water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities.
- Support regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against ERT project indicators.
Staff Management and Leadership
- Line manage two WASH Technicians and one Hygiene Promotion Officer.
- Conduct appraisals, manage R&R and holiday schedules, manage contracts, provide development and training opportunities, and support the physical and spiritual wellbeing for WASH staff.
- Daily management and supervision of additional re-locatable staff, locally hired staff, casual labourers and contracted workers when in field sites.
- Communicate additional HR needs to the WASH PM and HR team in Juba.
- Delegate tasks to WASH staff as appropriate (finances, managing casual labourers, etc), while ensuring that all key tasks are being covered.
- When requested, act as the overall field site leader (for WASH and other teams), in charge of security and staff health issues, and overall coordination between teams.
Coordination and Reporting
- Take part in all WASH Coordination meetings as appropriate.
- Liaise with relevant WASH NGOs, UN agencies and government WASH offices (Rural and Urban Water) or other government agencies involved in WASH planning.
- Liaise with local authorities at the beginning of assessments, and throughout WASH activities.
- Feedback regularly and work in line with received guidance and direction from WASH PM.
- Provide a week-end report to the WASH PM in Juba each week – detailing activity updates, work plan updates, materials needed and other key information.
- Complete assessments and intervention reports in a timely manner.
- Monitor stock levels, and submit stock and purchase requests in a timely manner. Ensure an accurate record of all assets and stocks at WASH field sites are maintained and circulated.
- Manage local procurement for all WASH items.
- Supervise the management of field team budget and cash.
- Manage submission of all finance, stock and purchase requests to Juba, and manage WASH finances, procurement, warehousing, and transport at field sites.
- Provide security leadership in the field sites, informing WASH PM of all updates.
- Contribute to development of security assessments for new ERT locations before field teams travel.
- Ensure the WASH team adhere to SOPs – and promote good planning and communication within the team.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in a field relevant to WASH-related field (eg. civil engineering, hydrogeology / hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 year post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field as a Manager.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells) and software / training (behaviour change communication).
- Strong communication skills.
- Diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues.
- Able to oversee varied tasks at the same time.
- Desire to contribute to the team and foster unity.
- Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
- Capacity to work under pressure and on tight deadlines.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.