BANGLADESH – WASH PM TECHNICAL ADVISOR - Teknaf
Desired start date: 01/09/18
Duration of the mission: 3 months with possible extension
ABOUT THE MISSION IN BANGLADESH
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, following cyclone SIDR.
SI’s intervention and strategy in Bangladesh is to address primary needs of crisis affected people in terms of food security, livelihood, disaster risk reduction (DRR), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) and shelter, by making use of an integrated disaster risk reduction approach and by taking into account the effects of climate change, whilst working in parallel on mid-long term resilience strategies.
SI strategy for 2017 focuses on 3 axes:
- Emergency preparedness in SI's working areas and emergency response (ER) in all the country.
- Integrated WASH/FSL approach with DRR as a mainstream in all current and future projects.
- Local advocacy approach in Cox's Bazar and at national level to sensitize the stakeholders about protection issues and humanitarian priorities in Bangladesh.
SI in 2017 is currently implementing five projects in different areas of intervention:
- In Dhaka: a WASH pilot project on water quality
- In Cox's Bazaar District: WASH, FSL and DRR programs
- emergency projects in response to the new Rohingya influx fleeing persecutions in Myanmar .
- In Bandarban District: WASH, FSL and DRR programs
ABOUT THE JOB...
The Technical advisor for water supply is in charge of supporting the team in water activities and infrastructures’ quality and strategy at the field level in Cox’s Bazar district / Teknaf base.
Under the direct supervision of the Wash coordinator, he oversees SI water activities in the area and provide advices and support for designs and implementation.
He will coordinate with Wash coo to ensure quality and sustainability of proposed technical approaches, as well as the respect of Wash cluster guidelines.
He takes part of new activities designs, as well as the process of capitalization.
This position also represents SI in the relevant sectorial humanitarian for a (e.g, Hydreological technical working group) under delegation of Wash coordinator
- Strategy : Oversee the water supplies activities, the needs of the population and ensure development of SI strategy in line with needs and wash cluster guidelines
- Support the team to ensure quality of work from assessment to final evaluation. Be present for implementation, train the team on specific water subject to strengthen capacities.
- Representation & reporting: He/She coordinates SI participations in the water fora at area level (e.g. Hydrological Technical Working Group). Providing the Wash Coordinator with all relevant reporting documents requested in collaboration.
- Management: He/She is the direct line manager of the water testing officer. He will have to organize his work and plan a strategy of water testing, in line with all proposal’s needs.
- Capitalization: He/She contributes to the process of capitalization. He harmonize technics and documents.
The main challenges for the position are:
Specific stakes and challenges
- Large size and variety of water activities and areas of intervention.
- Difficulties from supplier to provide quality in their work.
- Complex local socio-political context (especially relevant for contractors liaison), which requires strong analytical and diplomatic skills
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Monitor closely all water infrastructures under construction or to be constructed. Link with PMs, train teams and contractors
- Capitalization through SOPs of all activities set up
- 2 years minimum experience working in a humanitarian and/or development NGO;
- Technical background in engineering to be able to design and follow up on constructions
- Proven experience as an efficient and effective manager;
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills;
- Experience and reliability in water supply design and fecal sludge management, and implementation
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Fluency in English
- Ability to take decisions and work in autonomy;
- Good resistance to stress and pressure;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Team player;
- Capacity to adapt to security constraints.
- Good communication skills, with good written and spoken English
Dhaka is comparable to any big city with a comfortable guest house (intimacy, electricity, water (also hot water), wifi...) and all services (restaurants, shops, cinema, culture…). The size of the city and the high density with is 18 million inhabitants lead to a challenging environment and a massive traffic jam.
The living conditions in Dhaka have been affected by the last security events in July-16, restricting some movements in the city and the allowed places, challenging the private life.
The 2 SI bases in the field offer as well all the comfort.
SI WILL OFFER YOU ...
A salaried post: according to experience from 2200 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly and a monthly Per Diem of 350 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 500 euros allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs)
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
CONTACT : Sebastiano SIRINGO, Recruitment & Follow Up Officer