Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Officer
About the job
The Italian Council for Refugees (CIR) is presently looking for a highly qualified and experienced Psychosocial Support Officer to assist migrants and refugees in Médenine, Tunisia, in the frame of a project funded by UNHCR Tunisia.
We are looking to appoint someone that is dynamic, zealous and understands the nature of humanitarian aid work. He/she will be experienced in conducting assessments and therapeutic interventions with young people and/or families.
Ideally, the candidate will also have experience in working with women who have experienced gender-based violence and war trauma, however, a candidate who has knowledge of the field and a willingness to develop further skills and attend relevant training would be considered. The candidate will need to have excellent communication and report writing skills and be able to work collaboratively with all agencies involved.
Overall purpose of the role
The Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Officer will be an international staff and will support migrants and refugees arriving in Tunisia within mixed migration flows. The MHPSS will support migrants and refugees with specific needs, especially those suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTDS) who could be referred to local specialized services.
Main duties and responsibilities
· Provide mental health needs assessments for refugees and migrants in need
· Provide clinical assessment, counseling and follow up to refugees and migrants both at individual and group level as the situation demands.
· Develop a standard referral method to external MH services for psychiatric cases (psychosis), severely traumatized migrants and victims of SGBV and/or torture. Provide guidance regarding psychosocial activities to all partners and community workers to ensure all programmed activities meet best practice standards
· Assist, if needed, Profiling and Counselling Officers for sensitive cases
· Responsible for capacity building (including UNHCR staff) on mainstreaming psychosocial approach
· Be in charge of filing, case reports and statistics
· Fulfill any other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Essential minimum qualifications and experience required
· Masters in Clinical Psychology or equivalent and experience in one of the following areas: clinical psychology, psychotherapy. Post-qualification training in psychotherapy is desirable.
· At least 5 years of experience in clinical settings
· Registered in a recognized professional body
· At least 2 years of experience in either post-traumatic stress disorder, trauma work and related areas, giving therapy/rehabilitation to adults and children
· Experience in community-based mental health programs
· Knowledge of existing national/international guidelines/protocols regarding PSS support.
· Experience in using established inter-agency standards and guidelines in Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support (MHPSS), child protection, and torture such as the SOPs created by UNHCR.
· Languages: Fluent English, French and Arabic
· Diverse field experience, in particular in an African context, is desirable. Previous experience in Tunisia is an advantage.
Conditions – We offer
· Contract: Fixed-term position
· Contract length: 9 months
· Start date: as soon as possible
· Duty Station: MEDENINE.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in French or English to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: June 29th 2018 at midnight.
For further information about the Italian Refugee Council, please consult our website www.cir-onlus.org
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Italian Council for Refugees’s Terms of Employment for International staff.