Oxfam’s vision is a just world without poverty: a world in which people can influence decisions that affect their lives, enjoy their rights, and assume their responsibilities as full citizens of a world in which all human beings are valued and treated equally.
In accordance with Oxfam 2020 vision and in line with Oxfam’s strategies and policy guidelines, under direct supervision of the Country Director, the ‘Programs Manager (PM)’, is responsible for the quality assurance and delivery of Oxfam Country Office programs, together with the ‘programs’ unit team’ and in close co-operation with the local partners. The PM is charged of the development of the Country Office overall ‘Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) framework’ and monitoring and mentoring it’s implementation by the ‘programs team’ and across all programs. She/He leads the Country Office ‘programs team’ and is an active member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
Type of contract: National contract with local national terms.
Contract Duration: One year (renewable depending on staff performance and project funding).
Working hours: Full time (40hours/week).
Salary & Conditions: Negotiable based competency and salary history and in line with Oxfam national salary scale and HR conditions for Egypt.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Work Station: In MENA Region.
Reporting to: Country Director (CD).
Applicants from diverse backgrounds and nationalities with experience in Egypt are encouraged to apply.
Job Purpose – Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Manage, monitor and mentor the Oxfam ‘programs team’ through day to day line-management, hosting regular team meetings as well as one-to-one meetings with the various members.
· Responsible for the ‘programs team’s’ HR issues and concerns; team building, staff coaching and development, and performance review and assessment. In addition, the PM also manages and facilitates the recruitment and selection processes of the ‘programs staff’.
· Provide a steer and regular guidance and support to the different team members in their respective programs and roles.
· Oversee and monitor all programs’ budget and expenditures, in close coordination with the finance team. Provide guidance and support to the ‘programs team’ for the improvement of efficient budgeting and expenditure.
· Ensure and facilitate linkages, exchanges and shared learnings amongst and between the team members, and within the organization. Encourage and open opportunities for the team members to connect and link with peers and colleagues at other Country Offices and within the Oxfam Confederation.
Program Quality Assurance and MEAL (45%) – planning, delivery and reporting
· Ensure and be accountable for the quality design, implementation, management and monitoring of the Oxfam programs in Egypt. This includes accomplishing programs and projects objectives, monitoring the progress of the CO strategy and annual plan.
· Ensure that the programs team, working closely and inclusively with partners in country, develops and delivers quality programs.
· Define and/or develop specific processes, methodologies and tools for planning, monitoring, evaluation, learning, accountability and reporting in line with Oxfam minimum requirements.
· Encourage and support the design and implementation of creative methods to track progress towards achieving gender equality in all program areas.
· Define, apply and follow-up the policies, manuals and guides on “Monitoring, Evaluations, Learning and Accountability (MEAL)” of Oxfam to ensure their implementation with sufficient quality in country office.
· Ensure scientific and statistically viable usage of a range of qualitative and quantitative data collection tools and methodologies to measure the programs’ output, outcome and impact.
· Ensure Country Office’s and programs MEAL frameworks are implemented as planned and adapted as needed following lessons learned from implementation or changes in the intervention logic and/or context.
· In collaboration with ‘programs team’ and together with MEAL officer/s, develop impact indicators and empowering methods of measurement – such as participatory action research, most significant change stories, constituency feedback committees, etc. Ensure proper monitoring of the MEAL officer/s work in the area of qualitative and quantitative data collection, database design, and other relevant activities.
· Contribute to the strategic reflections on Oxfam’s program work in country and in relation to the region and to global dynamics and enhance cross-regional dynamics.
· Manage and support the preparation of high quality reports/ programs documentation/ learning and support its dissemination among key stakeholders in projects and programs, including other Oxfam countries, community and peer organizations, government agencies, universities, development organizations, donors, and the larger public.
- Contribute to the sign-off process when relevant of media and advocacy statements, and contribute as appropriate, to the policy lines as per the country influencing strategy.
· In coordination and with the support of the CD, access and use shared services as well as knowledge networks for program support.
Institutional Responsibilities (10%)
· Ensure adherence and compliance of the country programs to agreed Oxfam policies and management standards.
· Ensure adherence to the Oxfam ‘code of conduct’, security guidelines and health & safety.
· Actively participate in the Country Office ‘Senior Management Team’.
· As needed and by delegation from the Country Director, represent Oxfam in relevant fora and meetings with donors, partners or other stakeholders.
· In close coordination with the Country Director and the ‘Institutional Development & Funding Coordinator’, Foster co-operation between Oxfam affiliates and actively seek and participate in fundraising initiatives and negotiate funding opportunities for the Country Office and Programs. Develop and implement projects and programs that potential back-donors could finance. Actively engage in discussions with partners and other stakeholders on fostering external funding opportunities.
· Organize learning events, facilitate reflective learning by stakeholders around programs’ indicators and outcomes, and help with delivery of an ‘Impact Review’ for programs.
Capacity building - 5%
· Encourage and support the ‘programs team’ in assessing the needs and capacity of partners and facilitate their fulfilment.
· Promote linkages and shared learning between counterparts and key stakeholders. Train and develop the country ‘programs team’ on program standards and on knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective deliver quality program as well as in providing sound monitoring, evaluation, learning and accountability.
Technical skills, experience and knowledge
The ‘Programs Manager’ is a dynamic and strong personality with high standards on norms and values. She/He is an inspiring coach for her/his team, holds MEAL technical capacity, able to manage budgets and expenditures, has experience in running an office day to day. He/she has excellent communication and networking skills, team player and builder, and knows how to build and maintain relationships with donors. He/she is also able to work in a political environment.
- A Master’s degree level or equivalent experience in development, social science, or other relevant fields.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in development organization/s as a progressively responsible professional working experience especially in the area of program design, implementation, management, M&E framework design and implementation; working with learning initiatives.
- Knowledge of Egypt context, or experience in working in countries in transition as well as a significant knowledge of the thematic areas of work of Oxfam.
· Knowledge of social research methodologies and techniques with proven ability to manage and analyze data sets.
· Strong skills of professional writing, facilitation, communication, data management and analysis, knowledge management, research and development, and M&E.
· Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Strong understanding and experience in policy and advocacy, international development, governance, gender equality, or related field.
- Human rights-based approach – Gender sensitivity.
· Proven analytical skills and the capacity to think strategically. Strong experience in building relations with CSOs, government and research institutions.
- Proven experience in leading teams, people management and creative human resource management as well as change management. Specific experience in line management and coaching as well as hiring consultants and developing HR monitoring tools.
· Experience of working in the field of resource development, writing proposals and concept notes, reporting to donors and different constituencies. Experience in contract management of donor funded projects.
- Familiarity with management in a complex organizational structures and multi-country programming.
- Experience in representing an organization at senior level to civil society organizations, government, donors, etc.
- Financial management skills to monitor the operational budget and the ability to identify relevant investment area.
· Commitment to Oxfam’s values and ways of working and to Oxfam's objectives to promote gender equity and diversity and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of its actions.
This job description may be modified in accordance with the activities or the evolution of operational needs.
Interested individuals must send their application (motivation letter & curriculum vitae), noting the position “Programs Manager” in the email subject line, to Jobs.Recruitments@oxfamnovib.nl no later than Sunday 1st of July, 2018.
For further information, please don’t hesitate to reach contact us before the deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will have their application acknowledged.
Oxfam is an equal opportunity organization