CHAMPS Project Manager
The Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) network aims to determine and track the causes of under-five mortality and stillbirths through epidemiologic surveillance, including reporting within 24 hours, clinical sampling, and use of advanced laboratory testing and diagnostics across a network of international sites. The Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MoHS) and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are implementing CHAMPS at Makeni Site in Bombali District in Sierra Leone.
The Project Manager (PM) will provide strategic program, administrative, and financial leadership for ICAP’s instrumental role in planning, implementation, and technical support for all CHAMPS laboratory, pathology, and Determination of Cause of Death Panel activities. The PM will be the primary point of contact with CDC, regional and local government counterparts, and partner institutions and will foster partnerships and relationships between ICAP, CDC, and other stakeholders. Based in Makeni Site in Bombali District in Sierra Leone, the PM will work to ensure that program activities are completed on time, within budget, and in line with donor requirements.
This position is grant funded.
- Ensure effective implementation and coordination of project activities and reporting and monitor progress toward achievement of project goals and objectives.
- Participate actively in development of innovative approaches to strengthen project activities and reporting.
- S/he would support the development of work plans, budgets, risk analysis and stakeholder management with CHAMPS
- S/he will work closely with the Pathology and Microbiology Leads, project leadership in Sierra Leone and NY to ensure smooth project implementation and delivery of project objectives
- Track progress of CHAMPS/Labs project work plans and report weekly, monthly and quarterly
- Oversee all activities, outputs, and outcomes related to project management and administration, including reporting, budget development and monitoring, financial transactions, execution of project plans, and project performance monitoring and evaluation.
- Drive use of data to track program quality, program outcomes and through targeted evaluations, assess programmatic impact on project goals.
- Troubleshoot to prevent and resolve potential problems, review outputs for quality control.
- Represent the project in all matters pertaining to the execution of project-related activities including interactions with the most senior levels representatives of partner institutions.
- Ensure that all donor reports, and project write ups, including but not limited to success stories and program briefs are data driven and articulate a compelling story.
- Present progress, achievements, and lessons learned to key stakeholders, including the Sierra Leone government officials, and other CHAMPS implementing partners.
- Provide monthly review and updates to work plans and liaise with administration support staff to provide updates on anticipated support needs
- Coordinate with program teams on request and issues related to submission of work plans, reports and training materials
- Assist with the organization and tracking of storage specimens: receipt, retrieval and shipping as applicable.
- Assist with the organization and coordination of all CHAMPS project management team meetings including Determination of cause of Death Panel meetings where applicable.
- Advanced degree in life sciences and/or related laboratory area.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in project management of laboratory and/or public health programs in resource-limited context. Experience in sub-Saharan Africa required.
- Exhibit a high level of diplomacy while working with government partners at the national or regional levels in resource-constrained settings.
- Strong familiarity and command of USG regulations and compliance.
- Proven record of superb management, leadership, decision-making, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to manage large, complex projects across multi-country settings.
- Demonstrated skills in supervising staff, team building and management.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
Please submit your cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Please indicate the job title “CHAMPS Project Manager” in the email subject line.