Operations Associate, Sierra Leone - National Position
About the Position
Namati is seeking an organized, self-starting individual to join our Freetown-based team as Operations Associate. Supporting our Sierra Leone Director, Sonkita Conteh, and the Sierra Leone team, the OA will be proactive, nimble, and responsive to the needs of our growing organization. This is a challenging and exciting position which affords a unique view into the running of Namati’s oldest and most robust country program.
Overall, the Operations Associate will be responsible for the following -
Support to Namati’s Sierra Leone Director (40%)
- Maintain Namati’s Sierra Leone Director’s calendar, and provide him with thorough and timely meeting preparation.
- Assist with managing the Director’s email inbox, as well as draft email correspondence on the Director’s behalf.
- Provide proofreading, editing, and research as directed to support the Director’s public-facing writing.
- Travel to the provinces with the Director as needed to provide support for meetings with staff, communities, and companies.
- Collaborate with administration team to coordinate the Director’s international travel calendar and logistics.
- Support the Director as needed on special projects including land and environmental advocacy initiatives, attendance and other support for Ministry steering committee and technical working group meetings.
- Serve as liaison between the Director and Board of Directors, providing Board with periodic updates on programmes, partnerships, and other initiatives.
Support to Namati’s Sierra Leone Team (40%)
- Assist the administration team in evaluating and maintaining phone and internet systems in the Sierra Leone offices.
- As needed, assist with the preparation of travel logistics for staff within Sierra Leone.
- Lead the planning and coordination of Namati Sierra Leone events, including yearly team retreat and board convenings, and other events as needed.
- Field external inquiries about Namati’s work and direct requests to appropriate team members.
- Coordinate and facilitate weekly team check-in call.
- Coordinate arrival details, accommodation, and ground transport logistics for international visitors.
- Assist administrative team with procurement process as needed, particularly with respect to office supplies and inventory.
- Provide other support as needed to the Sierra Leone offices, including basic technology troubleshooting and trainings.
Global team interconnectivity and cohesion (15%)
- Serve as the hub for smooth and efficient communication and collaboration between Sierra Leone Director and global staff, including the CEO, as well as the global leads on areas such as:
- Global Network and Advocacy
- Knowledge Management.
About You/Must-Haves for the Position
- A global outlook: You are comfortable, have experience, and delight in the opportunity to work with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Organized and meticulous approach to your work: You genuinely enjoy completing detail-oriented tasks. You are dedicated to letting no ball drop, deftly juggle multiple tasks, and feel happiest at work when you have all your tasks in order.
- Nimble, creative, problem-solving: You know that providing quality support always begins with careful planning and execution. Yet in the face of unexpected challenges, you are positive and graceful and quickly reorient to identify the best new course of action.
- Exceptional communication skills: Your written and verbal communications evidence clarity in both thought and analysis.
- Ease with technology: When given the opportunity to work with a new program or application, you quickly become fluent.
- Collaborative and service-oriented: You greet everyone you encounter with a collaborative spirit, kindness, and empathy. You are known as a team-player who brings an “all hands on deck” mindset to all projects -- you’re happy to contribute however you can to advance Namati’s mission.
- Growth oriented: You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfil our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else.
Namati is dedicated to placing the power of law in the hands of people.
For billions of people around the world, the law is broken. It’s an abstraction -- or worse, a threat -- but not something we can use to exercise our basic rights.
Namati is building a global movement of grassroots advocates who empower people to understand, use, and shape the law. These “barefoot lawyers” form a dynamic, creative frontline that can squeeze justice out of even broken systems.
In the past four years, Namati and our partners have worked with over 65,000 clients to take on some of the greatest challenges of our times: protecting community lands, enforcing environmental law, and securing basic rights to healthcare and citizenship.
We track data on every case and use that information to advocate for systemic changes, like better policies for land governance in Liberia, environmental regulation in India, and healthcare delivery in Mozambique.
And we're joining forces for change. Namati convenes the Global Legal Empowerment Network -- over 1,500 groups and 5,000 individuals from 150 countries learning from one another and bringing justice to communities in every part of the world.
Our work has gained recognition. Namati and the Global Legal Empowerment Network were recognized with the prestigious Skoll Award in 2016. Honoring CEO Vivek Maru as a fellow, Ashoka called ours the “best law-for-all model we’ve seen.” We’ve been published and featured in the Guardian, the New York Times, and Forbes. And we’ve had some hefty supporters, including an advisory board with leaders like Amartya Sen, Mo Ibrahim, Fazle Abed, and Madeleine Albright.
As we move into our next phase, we’re growing our global team of passionate, results-oriented, big-hearted advocates, united by a common mission and a strong culture:
- Our mission is our North Star. It’s why we all wake up every day. We pour our hearts into this work.
- We’re innovators and changemakers. We are a young, energetic social enterprise and we know that our work is urgent. We believe in being nimble and doing what works.
- Our work makes real, tangible, measurable progress in people’s lives. We take abstract concepts – rule of law and human rights – and make them concrete, helping people find solutions that improve their lives every day.
- We walk our talk. Our movement is about legal empowerment and we bring this spirit of empowerment and collaboration to all our partnerships. We hold humility as a core value: we lead when necessary and follow when necessary.
- We are a truly global organization. Our offices are located in Delhi, Freetown, Maputo, Oakland, Washington DC, and Yangon, and our staff come from all corners of the world. We are united by our common mission.
- We see our people as our most valuable resource. We bring on individuals of the highest caliber and character and we mentor, train, and support our staff.
- We hold one another in the highest esteem. Our work relationships are built on deep abiding respect and love.
For more about what it’s like to work at Namati, please see our Cultural Principles.
We would love to have you on our team.
Please join us.
About Namati Sierra Leone
Namati Sierra Leone works with communities to strengthen their ability to protect, enforce, and defend their customary land rights and support equitable and empowered community-investor partnerships. Communities become properly prepared and gain access to legal representation, advice, or assistance during all negotiations with investors and state actors concerning the use of community lands and natural resources. Namati Sierra Leone also supports communities in their efforts to hold corporations accountable for breaches of environmental regulations and the provisions of negotiated agreements. Namati Sierra Leone uses data from these grassroots experiences to advocate for improvements to policies and practices on land and the environment.
Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Commensurate with experience. Please note you must already be legally eligible to work in Sierra Leone to be considered for this position.
Please complete our online application. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. In case of low internet bandwidth only, applications can be emailed in full to email@example.com.
Please note we strongly prefer for your application materials (cover letter, CV, and writing sample) to be uploaded in one PDF.
No phone calls, please. Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.