Education Coordinator - Iraq
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
1. Terms of reference
Job Title: Education Coordinator
Duty Station: Erbil, Kurdish Region of Iraq with regular visits to programme locations (Mosul, Hammam Al Alil, Tikrit, Baghdad and other areas for future interventions in Iraq).
Starting date: 02/07/2018
Contract duration: 5 months (renewable)
Reporting to: Head of Mission Linear working relationships with 1 Programme Coordinator and 2 technical coordinators
Supervision of: Functional supervisor of 2 or 3 PMs
2. General context of the project
INTERSOS has been present in Iraq since 2003 and currently operates across Salah Al Din (SAD), Erbil, Ninewa and Kirkuk Governorates. INTERSOS thematic sectors of intervention are Health, Protection, Education in Emergency (EiE) and Livelihoods. INTERSOS main office is in Erbil while the other 3 sub-offices are located in Tikrit (South SAD), Hamam Al Alil (South Ninewa), Mosul and Kirkuk. At the end of 2017, INTERSOS had over 500 national staff, 22 expert expat staff and over 250 volunteers working in the delivery of its humanitarian programs in Iraq across the mentioned sectors.
In Education, INTERSOS supports an EiE and CP response program in camps setting (Hasansham M2 and Salamya in Hamdanyya district - Ninewa Governorate). Other education projects or projects with education components will soon be launched in Kirkuk and Hawiga. Intersos is co-lead of Education sub national cluster in Erbil.
In Protection sector, INTERSOS is one of the main actors in the country, providing a comprehensive package of protection services in Mosul and Hamdaniyya districts (Qayyara, Nimrod and HAA sub-districts) in Ninewa Governorate, and in Tikrit and Baiji districts in SAD governorate, including in camp and out of camp locations. INTERSOS has been responding to the Mosul emergency response since 2016, in Qayyara camps where INTERSOS is currently the general protection leading partner.
In Health sector, INTERSOS provides free and integrated primary health care (PHC) services to conflict-affected population by ensuring the availability of essentials medicines and outreach health services. PHCCs rehabilitation, provision of drugs and medical supplies, technical support, emergency referral, nutritional screening and disease surveillance are included in the response.
3. General purpose of the position
Supporting and developing the Education Programme of Intersos in Iraq, ensuring good coordination with all relevant Education stakeholders.
4. Main responsibilities and tasks
The Education Coordinator will be in charge of the coordination and technical support of all education-related activities and services, ensuring timely and quality implementation and monitoring in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, INEE Minimum Standards, Good Practices in Education in Emergency Responses, International Principles and Guidelines, INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics. Moreover, the Education Coordinator is in charge of the development, implementation and evaluation of the country strategy and programme in the Education Sector in cooperation with the Programme Coordinator.
Developing the education portfolio and leading the implementation of the technical aspects of the education programme, including informal, non-formal and formal education activities for children, adolescents and youths.
Building the capacity, coordinating and supervising the education staffs and volunteers, as well as the local counterparts, providing ad hoc training sessions and continuous on-the-job coaching.
Cooperating closely with the Program Coordinator in maintaining relations pertaining to the education programme with donors, local authorities, government institutions, partners, key stakeholders, and other relevant actors at the national, regional, governorate and field level.
Ensuring INTERSOS’ representation in appropriate external programmatic forums and working groups, in particular the Education cluster.
Programme activities planning, coordination, monitoring and evaluation
• Provide inputs, guidance and support to ensure the quality implementation of the education projects’ activities from the technical point of view.
• In cooperation with the Project and Program Managers, elaborate and/or contextualize already available support tools to monitor and evaluate the education projects’ activities.
• Undertake field visits to the projects’ locations as needed to continuously monitor the progress and the quality implementation of the projects’ activities as well as to obtain solid findings to be shared with other stakeholders and the Education cluster.
• Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the projects’ activities to inform and adjust the program accordingly.
• Work closely with the PMs to ensure an adequate integration of the different intervention sectors.
Programme staffs, volunteers and local counterparts capacity building
• In cooperation with the Project Managers, carry out the identification and selection of the national staff and volunteers, as required.
• Train, coordinate and supervise the national staff and volunteers, and contribute to evaluate their performance.
• Ensure that national staff and volunteers respect INTERSOS rules and regulations, and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics.
• Continuously assess the training needs of staff and local counterparts, design the training program and developing the related material for enhanced education response capacity and service provision according to international standards and principles.
• Review and provide feedback on all technical aspects of Education projects reports to donors and internal activity reports prior to submission
Coordination and representation
• Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donor officers, local authorities, government institutions, partners, key stakeholders and other humanitarian actors.
• Contribute to the maintenance of an up-to-date service mapping of the different actors operating in the area and take proactive steps to remain informed about the available services.
• Participate in meetings with relevant donor officers, in cooperation with the Program Coordinator.
• Advocate in the education sector, identifying gaps and sharing needs to different donors
• Support donors' field visits upon PMs requests
• Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national, regional, governorate and field level, as required.
• Undertaking field visits to identify education needs and gaps, taking the lead of conducting assessment and preparing final reports to inform the new programing within the mission.
• Promoting integration of activities with other INTERSOS projects in cooperation with Programme Coordinator and supporting the coordination with other actors intervening in the same area.
• Continuously assess the education needs and gaps of target populations in current and prospective areas of operations, periodically update the education situation analysis and adapt the program accordingly.
• Continuously assess the education response capacity of potential partners.
• Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of the country education strategy and program, providing technical inputs, suggestions for improvements and recommendations for future actions.
• Provide relevant analysis on trends, development of humanitarian response in education to HoM and Programme Coordinator
• Design and elaborate new education interventions in cooperation with Programme Coordinator
• Support the integration of psychosocial support activities and protection services, as well as mainstreaming of key cross-cutting issues, into the education strategy and program, promoting age, gender and diversity sensitive approaches.
• Follow up the start-up of new interventions and provide guidance to PM and technical staff in charge, as required.
Erbil education Sub National Regional Cluster Co-lead (40%)
• Co-chair the Erbil Education Sub National Cluster
5. Required profile and experience
University Degree in Education, Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related field
- Relevant experience of 5 years, including at least 3 years of managerial experience of education projects/programs in emergency and post-emergency humanitarian context
- Demonstrated high level of conceptual and analytical thinking skills and excellent strategic programme development skills in areas of Education, both formal and non-formal, with particular focus on IDPs and Refugees
- Proven experience in programme leadership and provision of technical advice and support to field programs, skills in staff and partner development, mentoring, and training
- In depth knowledge of planning and programme cycle management
- In depth knowledge of donors’ requirements, proposals designing and reporting
- In-depth knowledge of cluster system
- Proven experience in management of large multicultural staff teams
- Perfect knowledge of all the phases of the PCM.
- Perfect knowledge of EIE
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent reporting skills
- Proficient in English
- Arabic desirable
- Excellent diplomacy skills
Ability to lead, delegate and work in team
Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
Adaptability to changing work environment and possible volatile security situation
Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads
Good communication skills, both written and oral
Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
Good computing skills
Prior knowledge of Iraqi context desirable
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS' platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to email@example.com , with subject line: "SR-29-525 - Education Coordinator - Iraq".
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.