Communication Specialist, P-4, Dubai, # 83098
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.For every child, Hope
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
The Communications Specialist is part of the Private Sector Fundraising (PSFR) unit of the Gulf Area Office. The primary focus of this unit is to maximize PSFR revenue in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.
How can you make a difference?
In the role ofCommunications Specialist you will be responsible for the planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a communication strategy to support UNICEF’s private sector fundraising and partnerships in the Gulf Area (i.e. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait), which will also more widely contribute to the enhancement of UNICEF’s brand, advocacy and all partnerships in the region. Specifically, youwill lead communication initiatives to (1) increase the visibility of UNICEF’s private sector partnerships, and (2) enhance the organization’s brand and profile in the region.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Contributes to and implements a communications strategy to get children’s issues into the public domain and builds support for UNICEF’s mission and objectives. Within this strategy, gains visibility for UNICEF’s private sector partnerships, including strategies for corporate, individuals, and foundations; and linkages with UNICEF and external calendar events; monitoring and evaluating the impact of this combined strategy. Strengthens brand positioning and develops an overall reputational risk assessment and mitigation approach that can be applied to all relevant forms of engagement with the private sector.
2. Identifies, recruits and supervises consultants and technical resources as necessary for the above activities. Develops a work plan for communication activities, monitors compliance and provides support and guidance to ensure objectives are met. This includes performance planning, monitoring and appraisal. Plans and monitors the use of communication budgetary resources.
3. Establishes and maintains strong relations with key media outlets in the Gulf (i.e. print, TV, radio, web, photo etc.), to ensure the successful communication of the UNICEF story and the global/regional/country collaborations with Gulf States.
4. To help enhance the organization’s credibility and brand in the Gulf Area, leverages high profile UNICEF supporters from outside the region (i.e. MENA and beyond), and develops and maintains a group of appropriate personalities within the Gulf who have a strong profile and reputation. Works with these personalities to support UNICEF's efforts and actively participate in special events and activities.
5. Plans, coordinates and implements all information and communication activities related to private sector fundraising and partnerships in the Gulf Area in consonance with brand values and positioning of UNICEF. Through field visits and events, utilizes web-based, digital and traditional media as appropriate to generate and maintain public interest in children’s issues and tell the story of UNICEF's mission and work to a wide audience.
6. Plans, coordinates and leads the adaptation and dissemination of global and regional communication materials to strengthen UNICEF’s brand among identified target audiences. Arranges translation into local language(s) as necessary, and manages their development and production. Identifies the need for additional materials / activities, as necessary and takes appropriate measures to ensure timely adaptation and production.
Performs other duties as required.
To qualify asadvocate for every child you will have…
Advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, Marketing or Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area, combined with a university degree in a related field.
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
Eight years progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in marketing and communication, print and broadcast media or interactive digital media, at national and international levels, four years of which include experience in international development, and two at the management level. Marketing and branding experience desirable; knowledge of the Gulf region and media is a significant asset.
Fluency in written and spoken English as well as in Arabic
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework athttp://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=513128