PROTECTION (GENDER) SENIOR OFFICER
Stichting Mayday Rescue Foundation is an international not for profit organisation. Mayday seeks to protect civilians against the effects of war and natural disaster by enabling them to protect themselves. We work where we are most needed: we seek to support the communities that are the most vulnerable and the most exposed to threats from conflict or natural disaster. We build solutions to the problem at hand. Our customers are the civilians we protect. Our method is the capability we build from amongst them. The training and equipment of civilian protection/community resilience capabilities are a means to an end. We measure our performance by how good our teams’ civilian protection service is, as judged by the civilians they, and we serve. Mayday is headquartered in the Netherlands and operates regional offices in Turkey and Jordan. Our multinational team of 40 specialists has extensive experience of delivering complex programmes. Mayday Rescue Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and applications are actively encouraged from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. Further information about Mayday can be found at www.maydayrescue.org
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The best candidate who can provide strategic leadership in the development, planning and implementation of the programme, ensuring a high quality, multi-sectoral approach, aiming at reaching Sphere standards, with a strong focus on accountability. The Syria context is ever changing. The ideal candidate will be required to adapt strategies and program activities to ensure effective and efficient implementation and achievement of all program goals.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Protection (Gender) Senior Officer reports to the White Helmets Support Unit Director, directly or the Country Manager or as appropriate. The White Helmets Support Unit is a division within Mayday Rescue Foundation’s BATAL (Hero) programme that supports the White Helmets. The Protection (Gender) Senior Officer will be responsible for supporting Mayday’s remotely-managed gender and community protection program in Syria and gender mainstreaming within existing programs. S/he will work with, support and manage partner’s staff to design, implement, monitor and report on program work, according to agreed program priorities and objectives. S/he will develop needs-based concept notes and proposals for new programme activities identified for implementation, making sure that gender is mainstreamed and integrated in programme designs and plans. They will also support and build the capacity of partner organisations to deliver project activities according to agreements. Mayday's community protection program is relatively new and growth is expected due to the needs of the country and the few actors in the sector. The position will be based in Amman, Jordan with international travel required.
Line Manager: Jordan Country Manager
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Probation Period: 2 months
Line-Management Responsibility: NA
Contracting Type: Fixed-Term Consultancy
Job Summary & Responsibilities
The Protection (Gender) Senior Officer will perform the following duties:
- Advice, design and implement appropriate community protection programming, with a special focus on interventions that can build upon existing programming.
- Provide programmatic and technical leadership on community protection activities, ensuring strategic direction of project operations.
- Design and implement appropriate community protection programs by ensuring efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop project proposals and long-term funding strategies.
- Manage program budget lines and ensure proper and effective use of program resources.
- Develop and support an excellent working relationship between implementing and non-implementing partners based on effective and timely communication
Liaise with local partners, NGOs, and other relevant entities for coordination and implementation, including with relevant clusters.
Establish detailed implementation plans, including phased budgets, M&E and indicator tracking plans.
Integrate M&E systems to support beneficiary accountability, donor reporting, performance metrics and organizational learning.
Prepare timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal Mayday requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
Provide technical advice to senior management as required.
- Provide briefings to the SMT and other staff as appropriate on the progress of project implementation
- In collaboration with the WH Support Unit, develop a capacity building plan for partners that are focused on program management, protection mainstreaming and best practices
- Organize learning events around gender and ensure program integration and mainstreaming.
Qualifications, Education, Experience and Competencies
Applications are invited from persons with the following qualifications or similar and relevant experience:
Education / Training
- University degree is required, in Social Sciences, Development studies or other related fields or combination of relevant education and experience relevant to the job. A Master degree is preferred.
Certification/training in gender and protection mainstreaming Experience/Technical Skills
Strong experience in project management, capacity building and training
Understanding of the key strategies and principles of gender, protection programming and the varying needs of women, men, boys and girls living in areas of conflict.
Experience working with and supporting implementing partners
Fluency in English and Arabic is essential.
- Experience in Emergency Response-specific activities in a humanitarian context, preferably in the Syrian context
Experience in donor and stakeholder coordination
Functional/ Technical Skills
Integrity and Trust
Building Effective Teams
Managing Through Systems
- Developing Direct Reports and Others
- Innovation Management
Mayday Rescue is committed to diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities within its workforce, regardless of race, colour, gender, nationality, age, religious and political believes, or sexual orientation.
Mayday Rescue encourages qualified female and male candidates, to apply to become a part of our team.
If you find yourself a good match for this position, and if you are interested in joining a highly dynamic team and having a direct positive impact on Mayday’s programmes, please submit your CV and cover letter on our career portal by clicking below link.