Norwegian Church Aid ('NCA') is one of the largest aid organisations in the Nordic region. We are there in disasters and emergencies to provide water and critical assistance to those affected. Together with our international network and partner organisations in the ACT Alliance we are able to reach millions of people each year and help make a positive difference around the world. We are determined to work towards eradicating injustice and we therefore work passionately with advocacy, long-term development in local communities and providing emergency assistance. As we see more and more people impacted by disasters, we now have an even stronger focus on providing more people with emergency relief and access to clean water. We believe that people in need must be helped and we will not stop fighting for a just world.
As part of its long-term project for 2018 in Niger, NCA is now working with UNICEF on integrating the CLTS component into its WASH planned interventions.
We are now looking for an experienced Wash Coordinator, who will be the overall lead for the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the NCA/UNICEF WASH intervention following the CLTS Approach Project in the Kablewa municipality in the Diffa region of Niger. In order to succeed in this role, you will be able to communicate precisely the needs of NCA to our partners. You will also coordinate in a collaborative manner with our partners, in planning and developing projects. Implementation is also essential. There may also be a need for capacity building initiatives to ensure the inclusion of protection and cross cutting issues in all project activities (especially gender).
The position is (initially) a six-month contract. The position will be based 40% in Niamey and 60% at the Diffa base in Niger.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure the coordination of NCA WASH activities with other NCA activities, partner organizations, UNICEF, local authorities and other relevant organizations.
- Ensure the quality of WASH projects are technically sound, gender mainstreamed and that they comply with relevant standards and NCA’s accountability commitments.
- Monitoring of NCA WASH activities and reporting in a timely manner and according to requests from the NCA Head of Mission, WASH Cluster and the community.
- Strengthen partner organizations capacity by assisting in the joint mapping of needs and developing/implementing capacity building programmes.
- Undertake an active role in writing concept notes and proposals to potential donors.
- Develop the project Resources Mobilization Plan (RMP) and revise the preliminary budget.
- Directing project HR process; recruitment, briefing and development of WASH local staff.
- As member of the senior management team, advise on change management practices affecting the programme and operational functions of the Mission; act as interim in country director absence.
- Ensure that Core Humanitarian Standards are integrated in project plan and activities, especially when it comes to community participation and feedback mechanism.
- Higher degree in relevant field (i.e. WASH engineering or similar)
- Experience in emergencies, preferably Africa
- Experience from WASH cluster work in similar operations
- Fluent French skills are necessary, in addition to English
- Strong expertise and experience in implementing CLTS projects
- Strong management skills and the ability to work independently
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups and nurtures good relationships across organizational levels and boundaries from government leaders to all stakeholders.
- Ability to train, coach and mentor.
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills; provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others.
- Must have a strong risk and security awareness and background.
- Excellent communication and cooperation skills in order to effectively lead a team
- Ability to seek solutions in a challenging context.
We can offer
- An exciting career opportunity with potential to develop and enhance leadership skills and experience
- A six month contract
- (Competitive insurance and pension schemes)
NCA uses an electronic recruitment portal. In a simple way, you can register your CV, write an application and attach certificates and diplomas. Only applicants who use our electronic portal will be considered for the position.
Link to apply here: https://candidate.webcruiter.com/cv?advertid=3817991959&language=nb