The post is to be based in Yangon and opened to International Candidates and advertised globally.
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking for yours.
The role: Programme Director will be primarily responsible for strategic leadership of the Myanmar programme. S/he will ensure high quality programme management and implementation of all Oxfam programmes and projects in Myanmar, as well as effective coordination between programmes and an active fundraising strategy. S/he must ensure that programmes deliver impact, have clear influencing strategies, and fully implement cross-cutting themes of conflict sensitivity, gender and governance & participation. S/he will play a prominent external role representing Oxfam and must be prepared to spend significant periods of time visiting programmes and partners. The position reports to the Country Director and is a member of the Myanmar Leadership Team. The Programme Director will directly manage all Programme Managers and will need to coordinate very closely with other senior colleagues.
Employment term: Fixed – Term (Until 30 June 2020)
Report to: Country Director
What we offer: Respectful and empowered working environment, Life insurance, Medical+ dental + optical benefits,Competitive salary and Career advancement opportunities,Generous leave entitlement
· Provide strategic and operational leadership for the programme team as part of the Country Leadership Team
· Lead all Oxfam programme implementation including regional or global programmes and emergency Humanitarian Response
· Ensure high quality project and budget planning and management of all projects and programmes – including regular planning, budgeting and review meetings with project leads / programme units. Monitor budget variances, providing justification for significant variances and budget revisions where necessary.
· Manage the Programme Managers, including performance management, providing coaching, support, advice and guidance where needed. Lead on recruitment for new programme staff as and when required.
· Ensure programme staff are efficient, effective and managed in accordance with Oxfam’s Oxfam HR policies, demonstrating high standards of accountability and transparency.
· Work closely with Programme Development Director to ensure programme learning is reflected in all stages of design and programme development in Myanmar including regional or global programmes
· Make sure that donor reports are of high quality and on time
· Ensure effective cooperation and collaboration between the Programme Team and other functional units - with relevant Technical Advisors and Programme Quality for programme impact and quality; with Advocacy and Communications for joint influencing and communication plans; and with Operations staff for effective compliance and risk management. Quickly identify potential problems / blockages and work with colleagues to remove blockages wherever possible.
· Ensure the effective implementation of cross-cutting themes – conflict sensitivity, gender, governance & participation – across all projects and programmes, with common approaches being used where possible and relevant.
· Maximise opportunities for programmatic coherence and synergy. So much as possible, ensure effective coordination between programmes, particularly those operating in the same geographic areas
· Ensure all Oxfam policies in relation to safeguarding, fraud management and security are fully understood and implemented at all times.
· Ensure that partnerships are of high quality and that programme staff are working within the spirit of Oxfam partnership principles.
· Build effective networks and relationships – with both external and internal – Oxfam regional or Global, Oxfam affiliates, partners, donors, other NGOs, government, other stakeholders - and represent the Oxfam in Myanmar programme
· Coordination and representational work within the wider development and humanitarian community in Myanmar – this requires a high level of engagement in numerous coordination bodies, platforms, committees, workshops and external meetings
· Lead regular meetings with partners and visit all Oxfam programmes and projects in the field regularly, ensuring that projects are adapting and responding effectively to the context.
· In the event of a new emergency, lead the Emergency Management Response Team.
· Be an active member of the Myanmar Leadership Team, working collaboratively and constructive with fellow senior managers. Fill the role of Acting Country Director when required
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
· Significant senior programme management experience (at least 7 years) at country level, with experience in fragile and conflict affected contexts. High level of comfort with, and experience in adaptive programme management essential.
· Thematic experience in at least two of Oxfam’s three main areas of programmatic focus: humanitarian & resilience; governance & social accountability; economic justice. Familiarity with the humanitarian-development-peace nexus a definite advantage.
· Proven experience in the implementation of cross-cutting themes of gender, conflict sensitivity and governance & participation.
· Proven ability to manage diverse teams, creating a sense of trust, empowerment and professional growth.
· Must be able to balance the need for strategic focus and impact, with a high level of attention to detail – must be able to develop and manage detailed plans and budgets in accordance with contractual requirements, while managing the overall strategy.
· Strong commitment to gender equality and high level of personal awareness and sensitivity to gender issues.
· Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills.
High level of reporting skill
· Behavioural role model for others, demonstrating Oxfam core values of empowerment, inclusiveness and accountability.
· Excellent communication skills with partners and proven ability to work effectively with national partner organisations.
· Must be able to work effectively across functional units and to support colleagues to work effectively across functional units.
Please state applied position in email subject line and send CV and cover letter to Human Resources Department through firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxfam office, No. 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Street and Golden Hill Avenue Street, Golden Valley Ward 2, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Phone: +95 (0)1 539986, 539987, 539958, 539189 and 504918