About FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates to provide consulting services as a Protection/GBV Expert.
The humanitarian situation remains critical in northeast Nigeria, with an estimated seven million people in need of humanitarian assistance, and more than 1.7 million Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs). FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and for 15 months, has been implementing humanitarian response activities in the health, nutrition, protection and WASH sectors with a substantial on-the-ground presence in Maiduguri, Dikwa, Ngala and Banki. FHI 360 is now looking to conduct rapid assessment of the integrated project based on established methodology within the organization.
The program technical and quality assessment of Integrated Humanitarian Assistance to Northeast Nigeria (IHANN) is being carried out by a team of local and HQ-based FHI 360 staff and is looking for a protection in emergencies expert to join the team and lead the assessment of the protection sector activities.
The expected duration for this consultancy is four weeks; of which two weeks will be in northeast Nigeria.
Consultant Scope of Work
The consultant’s primary responsibility will be to create an assessment tool, in line with a template that will be provided, and carry out the rapid assessment of the protection sector within the integrated project in northeast Nigeria. Under the supervision of the Crisis Response Coordinator, the Protection/GBV Consultant will lay the groundwork for the current and future FHI 360 internal quality assurance assessments of protection programming in humanitarian crises.
Remote (Approximately 2 weeks)
Review the existing tool template and design the protection assessment tool based on global protection standards, ensuring relevancy according to the provided project documents
Output: finalized quality assessment tool for Protection (GBV and CP) programming
Attend remote meetings with assessment team to finalize the assessment agenda
Write the protection section of the assessment report based on the findings from the tool utilized in-country; includes detailed recommendations and action planning
Northeast Nigeria (2 consecutive weeks)
- Attend collaboration meetings with the assessment team
- Carry out assessment of the protection (GBV) project utilizing the created tool and in collaboration with field-based counterpart
- Conduct interviews with stakeholders, document reviews and field visits as required for the evaluation process
- In collaboration with field-based counterpart, draft a targeted improvement plan to address key 3-5 priority issues
- Contribute to in-country debrief of assessment findings and recommendations
- Protection programming quality assessment tool based on the FHI 360 standard
- Completed assessment of FHI 360's protection sector within the IHANN project
- Final assessment report for the protection domain, utilizing the FHI 360 methodology and done in collaboration with the integrated assessment team
- Advanced university degree, preferably in the social sciences, political science, law or other relevant field
- Proven expertise in protection, GBV in emergencies, including a demonstrated understanding of national and global protection standards including the IASC GBV guideline
- Experience in case management
- Further knowledge of child protection in emergencies an asset
- Minimum of 8 years relevant protection experience in emergency contexts and IDP settings at national or international NGOs in the field of protection, gender-based violence and/or child protection; field experience is essential.
- Prior experience in assessments or evaluations of protection programs
- Willingness to work with a team and travel within northeast Nigeria for a 2-week time period in second half of June 2018
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Submissions will be evaluated in accordance with the following criteria:
- Demonstrated understanding of gender-based violence in emergencies and at least 2 of the following additional areas: child protection, integrated programming, protection case management, humanitarian assistance project evaluations, northeast Nigeria context
- Available within the timeframe and for the duration required
- Quality of sample provided
- Years of relevant experience
- Best value
Disclaimers and FHI 360 Protection Clauses
- FHI 360 may cancel the solicitation and not award
- FHI 360 may reject any or all responses received
- Issuance of the solicitation does not constitute an award commitment by FHI 360
- FHI 360 reserves the right to disqualify any offer based on failure of the offeror to follow solicitation instructions
- FHI 360 will not compensate any offeror for responding to solicitation
- FHI 360 reserves the right to issue award based on initial evaluation of offers without further discussion
- FHI 360 may choose to award only part of the activities in the solicitation, or issue multiple awards based on the solicitation activities
- FHI 360 reserves the right to waive minor proposal deficiencies that can be corrected prior to award determination to promote competition
- FHI 360 will be contacting each offeror to confirm contact person, address and that bid was submitted for this solicitation
· Current CV
· Cover letter/Letter of Interest.
· Please submit no later than May 25, 2018.
SUBMIT DOCUMENTATION TO (only electronic submissions and no phone calls, please)
Jonathan Banasihan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Assistant, West Africa and Middle East Regional Office