Secretary of the Board, with legal experience.
What will you be doing?
This is an exciting time to be collaborating with our dynamic Board of Trustees. We have been running successfully as a charity organisation for nearly 8 years and we are looking for additional support for our Board of Trustees from a highly reliable individual with legal expertise. EMERGENCY UK is an affiliate of the renowned organisation EMERGENCY ONG Onlus which has treated over 9 million people in 17 different countries and currently operates in Afghanistan, Central African Republic, Iraq, Italy, Sierra Leone, and Sudan.
The role of the Board Secretary will cover the following key responsibilities:
· To summon and organise Board of Trustee meetings; also setting the proposed agenda and providing official minutes.
· To provide support to ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document; charity law; company law; and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
· To contribute actively to the board of trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation; setting overall policy; defining goals; setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
· To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
· To review and approve relevant policies annually to ensure that they reflect changes inside and outside the organisation.
· To establish agile and effective control processes to evidence compliance with applicable laws and internal policies.
EMERGENCY UK currently have a strong trustee board encompassing a diverse range of skill sets in charity management; charity field work; medical expertise; finance; and photography.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a Board Secretary with legal expertise and the ability to scrutinise and probe internal policies, existing controls, partnership agreements, employment contracts and reports.
In addition, we would like applicants to have:
· An understanding of working in a small/medium organisation
· An understanding of, and sensitivity to, the particular situation of a registered charity
· Commitment to the organisation
· Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
· Strategic vision
· Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
What difference will you make?
A Board Secretary with legal expertise will play a vital role in the operation and smooth delivery of our charitable activities. The Board Secretary will make a huge difference to our work as he/she will enable us to: follow developments of charity law and its applicability to EMERGENCY UK; organise and manage the Board of Trustees' agenda and records; reduce the use of external legal counsel; strengthen funding applications through presenting strong agreements between delivery partners; relieve trustees from an increasing workload on the legal side.
What's in it for the volunteer?
Through becoming a Board Secretary at EMERGENCY UK you will be able to:
· Put your skills and experience to use and make a lasting difference in our work of providing healthcare to victims of war and poverty.
· Learn about the management and strategy side of a successful international charity by taking on a leadership role.
· Usefully be at the forefront of certain international crises (e.g. conflicts, Ebola) by helping the organisation to fulfil its mandate in a compliant and effective way.
· Enhance your CV and potentially open doors to new career opportunities.
A few more details
In addition to attending approximately 3 Board meetings per year and the Annual General Meeting, it is essential to meet or communicate with the Director to go through legal procedures and reviews as and when they arise. EMERGENCY UK is still a small-medium organisation with an income below half a million pounds (2017) and 2 staff. Fj
Please send us your CV with a cover letting outlining your relevant experience and why you think you’re the right person for this internship to firstname.lastname@example.org