Position Title: Studio Technician
Location: Based in Kano
Reports to: Head of Office, Kano
Summary: Equal Access is looking for a Studio Sound Engineer to work from Kano with technical know-how on studio dubbing, Sound and video editing.
Equal Access International (EAI), a non-governmental organization headquartered in San Francisco, USA, empowers under-served communities in the developing world with critically needed information, education and leadership training. With funding from bi-laterals, multi-laterals, foundations, corporate and individual donors we implement innovative media and community outreach programs that inspire positive social change on issues such as women’s empowerment, human rights, global health issues, youth life skills & livelihoods, and civic participation & governance. EAI operates in Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, and has over 175 staff worldwide and a twelve-year track record implementing media and social change projects in challenging locations.
Since 2013, Equal Access Nigeria has been implementing innovative media, radio, research, community engagement and CVE programs to strengthen youth empowerment, responsible media, social cohesion, community dialogue, and peacebuilding in northern Nigeria. To consolidate and advance its Nigeria programming, Equal Access is launching a new 2-year program to expand our CVE messaging efforts by conducting research, organizing youth-driven tech camps, training young leaders, creating and producing innovative content for northern TV and radio programs, and creating an alternative messaging ecosystem driven by locally created offline and online content in northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad region.
Essential Job Functions:
The sound operator is expected to assemble, operate and maintain the technical equipment used to record, amplify, enhance, mix or reproduce sound on location or within studio settings. To identify the sound requirements for a given task or situation and perform the appropriate actions to produce this sound. Specific duties include;
· consult with producers/program staff, presenters and performers to determine sound requirements;
· select, position, adjust and operate the equipment used for amplification and recording;
· applying technical knowledge of sound recording equipment to achieve the determined artistic objectives;
· monitoring audio signals to detect sound-quality deviations or malfunctions;
· anticipating and correcting any problems
· oversee the care and maintenance of studio equipment
· mixing and balancing speech, effects and music;
· ensure content is produced to the highest international standards for radio services
· when required, integrating (synchronisation) of pre-recorded audio (dialogue, sound effects and music) with visual content;
· re-recording and synchronising audio (post-synching);
· Creating and altering sound effects for use in films, television, etc.
AND: operate a video camera to ensure content from Equal Access activities are recorded and prepared for social media platforms, television and other services, as required.
ALSO: Any other duties assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, skills and qualities
· diploma, OND in Media and Communication or related field
· proven practical skills and knowledge of sound equipment i.e. Sound Mixer, Radio Microphones, Studio Operations.
· an interest in photography, film and video
· good communication and 'people skills'
· the ability to carry out instructions accurately and with attention to detail
· calmness under pressure, patience and concentration
The Studio Technician must have good knowledge and proven experience with software that includes:
1) Adobe audition,
2) Soundtrack pro,
3) Logic Pro,
5) Pro tools &
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered. The position is based in Kano, Nigeria. To apply, please send a cover letter indicating your reasons for interest in the position and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with "Studio Technician" in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please apply by 31 May, 2018. This is a full-time position. Applicants must have the right to work in Nigeria. Equal Access does not provide sponsorship or pay relocation or housing costs, Equal Access is an equal opportunity employee, and all is welcome to apply.