Hospital Management Technical Advisor
POSITION TITLE: Hospital Management Technical Advisor
DEPARTMENT OR COUNTRY PROGRAM: South Sudan
RESPONSIBLE TO: County Coordinator
STATUS: Full Time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: DATE: April 23, 2018 (subject to funding)
COUNTRY PROGRAM MISSION
Since 1994 American Refugee Committee (ARC) has been operating in South Sudan which covers five states with programs and services reaching over 400,000 returnees, IDPs, refugees and host community members.
Currently, ARC implements programs in Primary Health Care and Gender Based Violence but is currently expanding to Secondary Health Care WASH, and Food Security. ARC has program activities in Central and Eastern Equatoria, Northern Bahr el Ghazal and Warrap States. This project will be implemented in Aweil State Hospital.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The hospital management technical advisor will support the State Ministry of Health in Northern Bahr El Ghazal State to manage health care services at the State hospital and other hospitals in the state. S/he will ensure optimal use of the available resources in the state and work to assist the MOH to develop management and administrative guidelines and policies.
This position will be responsible for three main objectives:
- Ensuring increased access, utilization and quality of health services including emergency obstetric and neonatal care, pediatrics, general surgery, trauma care, gynecology, family planning and internal medicine
- Strengthening the referral system between State hospitals, county level hospitals and primary health care facilities
- Strengthening the management and administration modalities at State level hospital.
The Hospital management technical advisor will work under the supervision of the hospital project manager. The position will be based in Aweil State Hospital.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Plan and coordinate the development of guidelines and systems working with the hospital director and state ministry of health and lead the development of standard operating guidelines for the hospital.
- Ensure the hospital and ARC keep track of the priorities and the actions of the detailed action plan
- Coordinate with the medical director, other doctor specialists and the matron to ensure the hospital is well managed to provide health services responsive to the needs of the State.
- Ensure the hospital departments utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as prescribed by the South Sudan Ministry of Health, the World Health Organization, and ARC.
- Support the development of a functional statewide referral system from County level to the state hospital level, including feedback system to referring facilities and follow up, as required of discharged patients.
- Backstop the surgeon/ Gynecologist when needed e.g. during emergencies, general/annual leave, R&R etc.)
- Support in the development of procedures for reporting and prompt investigation of accidents, near misses, and adverse events, including maternal death audits.
- Ensure data are reported to hospital committees and discussed with staff during regular staff meetings to formulate recommendations for improvements in service delivery
- Work closely with the County Health Departments on timely referral from County hospitals to the State Hospital.
- Work closely with SMOH on capacity strengthening, community governance system and work on exit strategy
- Strengthen the links between health care services within the state to ensure a functional timely referral system.
- Liaise with the hospital project manager, SMOH, CHD of the county on, if delegated liaise with local authorities, UN, clusters and NGOs to promote facilitate successful coordination of activities, and ensure transparency in the community
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Bachelor of medicine and surgery or Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Master’s degree in Health management with at least 5 years’ experience managing a busy referral hospital
- Registered by the South Sudan Medical Council in surgery
- At least 3 years of management experience in a rural hospital setting, including experience supervising and mentoring clinical staff
- Demonstrated leadership capacity and experience in project cycle management with an international organization
- Experience in analytical and conceptual skills in report writing, program management, project planning, budget management, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong coordination skills with proven ability to work across multiple technical areas simultaneously, supporting and mentoring multiple staff members
- Professional fluency in spoken and written English
- Experience in data collection, monitoring, and data utilization at secondary and tertiary care levels. Prefer experience with South Sudan register books and DHIS and IDSR systems.
- Previous relevant experience in Africa – South Sudan highly valued
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office, Email, etc)
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of and experience in working with and coordinating with international and national partner organizations
- Highly motivated hands-on self-starter, ability to work independently and has ability to incorporate and open to constructive feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to changing responsibilities or needs as they arise
- Willingness to frequently travel and live in remote and security difficult situation
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
- Cultural and gender sensitivity essential
American Refugee Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. American Refugee Committee complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.