Senior Technical Officer, Urban Upgrading
The Senior Technical Officer, Urban Upgrading will join an innovative team working to develop strategies to upgrade high risk informal settlements into healthier, safer, more prosperous neighborhoods, and build local capacity to respond to urban disasters. He/she will work with the team to help capture and better understand urban trends that affect the lives and livelihoods of households in urban areas, and assist PCI to further document and systematize its strategies to address them. The TA will work with the team to create manuals and tool kits that can be utilized by communities, municipalities, ministries, private sector partners and others to guide their collaborative work in urban contexts.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Technical Officer, Urban Upgrading under the supervision of the Country Director of PCI Guatemala and guidance of the Director of Humanitarian Assistance and Resilience will:
- Support the PCI Guatemala team to generate a better understanding of key trends in high risk urban informal settlements through research on health, protection of vulnerable populations, water and sanitation, crime, disaster risks, housing, and food security.
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to document strategies and develop tools and manuals on urban upgrading, risk management, and emergency response.
- Work alongside technical specialists in GIS to develop methodologies and systems for the use of mobile devices and online analysis platforms for urban risk management and emergency response.
- Lead the design of a 3-year knowledge Management plan on PCI’s urban resilience and humanitarian response programs, together with project leadership.
- Identify target audiences and channels/platforms for dissemination of project products and materials, including municipal, national, and international stakeholders.
- Support an innovative team of architects, engineers, health, water and sanitation, environmental conservation and other specialists to redesign and rebuild an urban informal settlement, and document the process.
- Support the Guatemala team to document their accomplishments and lessons learned.
- Help PCI to align its strategies with partners, including UN agencies, ministries, and other national governments in the region.
- Document youth mapping of barriers to access to nutritious foods in urban areas, and support the development of strategies and recommendations for public and private partners for how to improve food security in informal settlements.
- Work with a team of risk management and disaster response specialists to develop protocols on how to work effectively in urban areas, together with private companies, ministries, municipalities, and communities.
- Support the design of new innovative urban programs
- Contribute to the design and development of funding proposals in emergency response and urban upgrading and resilience.
The candidate should be passionate about resilience and concerned about urban trends; innovative, creative, and enjoy working with interdisciplinary teams to solve complex problems and develop manuals and tools so we can replicate the solutions; be an excellent writer; and speak Spanish and English fluently; and have:
- An Advanced Degree in knowledge management, urban planning, international development, humanitarian assistance or related field
- A minimum of six years of experience working in urban planning, international development or humanitarian assistance.
- Proven track record in effective facilitation and capacity building of local staff and partner organizations, with strong abilities to coach, mentor and coordinate multi-disciplinary teams.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- English and Spanish fluency (required)
- Knowledge of information and communications technology preferred.
- Experience creating infographics and other materials designed to share information and catalyze action
- Experience preparing presentations
- Work well in a team environment and able to work independently
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively to deadlines
- Strong computer skills including expertise in Word, Power Point, and other relevant computer packages and platforms
- Documented experience designing, writing, and producing programmatic and technical materials for dissemination to broad audiences
- Understanding of qualitative and quantitative research design and methodologies
- Sound time management skills and capacity to balance competing priorities Job Location Guatemala City, , Guatemala Position Type Full-Time/Regular